iPhone 5 for GPS NAV? - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

05-25-14
    I am considering using my iPhone 5 for navigation on my 2012 F650GS. In the car, I find Google Maps to be superior to the Garmin NUVI for accuracy and there is never a delay in finding the satellites. Plus I just don't want to spend the $ on a dedicated GPS device. I don't need any special maps... just regular driving (riding) directions. I saw some shockproof cases which attach to handlebar mounts but I think I prefer a "tank bag" with a clear pocket since there will probably be a new iPhone late this year. Any recommendations for a setup for this? Tank bag that fits the bike? Charging (I have an SAE cord already)? Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan H
    07-13-21
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    My bias is to prefer a "real" GPS, but will not let that influence my comment, which is that putting any electronic device inside a plastic window such as your proposed tank bag setup risks two things: the device overheating on a hot, sunny day (and damaging its battery), especially if it is charging, and fogging the enclosure window when it's wet/cool out, rendering it useless, at least for visual directions. I've been there and done that with a nuvi 760 in a waterproof enclosure with plastic window. I tried it for one long trip and ditched it right after I got home and bought a zumo 660, which is weatherproof.

I'd be tempted to find a good RAM mount with as much vibration isolation as you can afford and not worry about rain until it happens, at which point a baggie or shower cap can suffice. Or get a Lifeproof case for the iPhone.

I'm surprised that you find significant "accuracy" differences between Garmin and Google maps, but to each his own. I do find Google's traffic display far superior to any that Garmin has offered on its GPSes, however. As for sat lock delay, you are aware that the iPhone uses WiFi (if available) and cell signals to grab a rough position while it is acquiring sats, which takes the same amount of time as a newer GPS? If you are out of cell range you may find that 1) accuracy is reduced; 2) it takes a lot longer to get a position fix, and 3) maps may not load, depending on how far you travel in the cell "dead" zone.

For charging, there are various USB chargers that connect to 12 volts. Does the GS have an accessory socket? On my ST it is in an inconvenient place, but I sometimes use it to charge my iPhone 5s in my jacket pocket. If you plan additional accessories, a fuse block is a good investment and then you can put a socket wherever you want.

-dan

PS: an iPhone will not allow you to pre-plan routes, which is about 90% of what I use my GPS for. If you just need the fastest route from A to B that's what the phone can do pretty well, but if you want fun bike trips, a GPS offers a lot more flexibility.
    Last edited by danham; 05-10-14 at 04:13 PM.
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

05-25-14
    Thank you very much for the reply. That makes sense about putting the iPhone in a clear plastic liner. I am riding on the streets in well populated areas so the Google maps on the iPhone has always been adequate for me in the car and those are the same places I would go on the bike. I can print out Google maps from my computer but sometimes there are so many times that it's difficult to remember, even if I know the general area. I have done some online research and have found a handlebar mount and a shockproof case which looked like a good solution. I have the built-in accessory port as well as an after wired SAE port which I guess I can use to charge the iPhone, if necessary. Happy writing and thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike
    01-25-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I get it. A phone as a GPS, one less thing to mess with. It's a nice pice of hardware with so many uses.
    I have used my iPhone 4s as a GPS occasionally. I place it in a clear pocket in my tank bag, or in a handlebar mounted water resistant sealed iPhone holder. It over heats in the sun and turns itself off. This may not be an issue if it's in the wind blast, with out a cover. This is never an issue with my Zumo 550.

Real Name
    Robert Norton
    12-10-17
    I currently use the Navigator V for my gps unit...however, I'd like to use my iPhone to follow GPX routes/tracks downloaded from basecamp or from email. Any recommendation for an app that will allow use of GPX files on an iPhone 5s. id like to have this as a backup to the Garmin Navigator V