How Do You Check A Motorcycle’s Oil Level? - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-28-18

Modern motorcycles are incredibly reliable, but they still require you to check a few things in order to keep them running at full potential. The engine oil is one of those items you should never neglect. After all, you don’t want to run your high-revving, manufactured-to-aerospace-tolerances, and extremely-expensive-to-replace engine without the proper lubricant, do you? Additionally, an engine’s oil can reveal a good bit of information about the condition of its internals to even a novice mechanic armed with a little information.

To actually check an engine’s oil level, take a look at its owner’s manual. Seriously, it’ll outline the specifics that the manufacturer recommends – and they do vary slightly from bike-to-bike. Still, the steps do follow a rough pattern.

Make sure the engine is warmed to operating temperature. After turning it off, allow the oil to drain down from the top end by waiting a few minutes. Bikes with a sight glass require that you hold the bike level – either from the saddle or beside the bike – look at the window conveniently located on the bottom of the engine to make sure the oil level is between the two marks on the case. (Tip: If your bike has both a centerstand and a sight glass, measure it the above way and then compare it to the level shown while on the centerstand. This way you can use that level as reference so can check the oil level when it’s parked on the centerstand in your garage.)

For engines with a dipstick, check your owner’s manual to make certain how the stick is to be inserted for an accurate reading. Usually, you will wipe the stick and insert it into the case until it makes contact with the filler plug’s threads. Be sure the plug is straight and the bike is level or you may get an inaccurate reading.

If you ride your bike regularly, you should check its oil at least weekly. If you ride infrequently, consider checking before every ride. With regular checks, you are more likely to notice symptoms of little problems before they get bigger.
    Read more about How Do You Check A Motorcycle’s Oil Level? at Motorcycle.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I wish my dealer could set the oil level like this when my RS is serviced. They always overfill the sump (even when I tell them not to) and then I have to drain out 500 liters of oil to get the level in the middle of the window after I get home.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Frank
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I have to drain out 500 liters of oil
    That must have been a seriously expensive bill...
    But seriously, why? Max. level is top of the window, right?

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankV View Post
    That must have been a seriously expensive bill...
    But seriously, why? Max. level is top of the window, right?
    Opps, I left out a decimal point. What apparently happens is that the RS holds 3.5 liters of oil, but the shop insists on pouring in 4 one-liter bottles of oil into the sump. I guess they charge by the liter and don't know what to do with half a bottle. I have talked to other customers with the R/RS models and they complain about the same thing. I guess, the shop is just not getting the message - or doesn't care. Unfortunately, when the sump is overfilled shifting becomes more difficult - and magazines articles indicate that it also cuts power and increases engine heat. But, in spite of customer complaints, it continues to happen.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    You be taking oil out when it is at the full mark? What be happening. man?
    A glass half full is missing some content, the glass half empty is looking for a refill!
    A full glass will take you further before worry comes in.
    At the price BMW dealers charge for oil changes one would have to be a 1%'er to have them do the task. If I had that kind of money, i'd get something more exotic.

8. Likes FirstBMW liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    You be taking oil out when it is at the full mark? What be happening. man?
    A glass half full is missing some content, the glass half empty is looking for a refill!
    A full glass will take you further before worry comes in.
    At the price BMW dealers charge for oil changes one would have to be a 1%'er to have them do the task. If I had that kind of money, i'd get something more exotic.
    When dealing with a very expensive new model BMW motorcycle, you want to be sure that it is going to be covered by the 3-year BMW warranty and the best way to do that with BMW is to have an franchised shop perform the required servicing. Changing oil is easy and I do that at 3K miles between regular servicing by the shop. The other problem is that BMW has an annoying "service required" symbol that shows up at one-year and 6K-mile intervals - which can not be reset by my laptop-version GS-911, as the bike has a new computer system that the GS-911 guys haven't completely figured out yet. So, if you want that warning symbol to go away you have to take your bike to a BMW dealer to have them accomplish that task, which they will do while performing the required service - such as changing the oil and filter for $150.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    "which can not be reset by my laptop-version GS-911"

Shucks, My 800 was infinitely variable. NorM K and I did our brake fluid change and he set my notification for 3-4 years in the future. Problem is that when you loose power, it comes on ad needs to be reset.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I see a repeat hear of this post, is there a suggestion that we do not know how to check for oil or sumit. . .
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein