Winter Gloves - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm looking for some winter glove recommendations. I went to webBikeWorld, but their winter glove recommendations are dated and I don't believe that many of them are still for sale.

Some criteria.
    • I'm talking about cold weather use. In the 30s and below. I already have Cortech Scarab gloves and Olympia Cold Throttle gloves. Both come with 100g of Thinsulate.
    • They need to have protection from falls. That rules out ski gloves.
    • I'd like to get something that has more insulation on the back of the hand, than on the palm. I'm thinking the heated grips should take care of the palms.

I've also been using the Gerbing T5 heated gloves. They work okay, but maybe my hands are just getting sensitive to cold. At 40F, my fingers are cool, so I'm hoping for something warmer. Plus, the right glove is always cooler than the left, simply because these are DC powered and the cord leading to the right hand is longer. And I've already repaired the power cord leading to the right glove where the wire broke in the jacket liner once. I wouldn't be surprised to see the power cord break again. At that point, do I want to replace the jacket liner? Or just use warm winter gloves?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I was gifted a pair of BMW Pro Winter Gloves a couple of years ago, very well used when I got them, "soft" padding, Goretex lining. I've ridden at -2 C (28.4 F) no problems. Mine let water in eventually if out in all day rain but are still more waterproof than other "waterproof" gloves I've bought. The original owner said when new they didn't leak at all, but after a few winters they do. He used the motorbike for work and averaged 30k a year, when they started to leak he would replace with new. Aside from keeping my hands warm there are a couple of things that really impress. They are very easy to get on and off and the lining always stays put. They have now been superseded by the Pro Winter 2, which I believe are still available.

A review I found on an adventure forum

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-p...review.544803/

Because I felt the BMW gloves where looking a bit dated I bought some Spada Enforcer gloves that had some good reviews. On paper they would appear to outshine the Pro Winter, with hard armuor and a rubber visor wiper on the left thumb (I understand the new Pro Winter now has this) but in use the Pro Winter is warmer and easier to live with but I like the better protection on the Enforcer so generally that's my day to day glove when it gets really cold use the Pro Winter.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Maybe you should consider bar muffs. They are kind of funky but work really well, if you don't mind not seeing your hands while you ride. Also, a pair of over-gloves like Aerostitch sells is another option.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

5. Likes TheMeteor liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    Bought a pair of Motorrad Dry gloves the other weekend :-

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/we...ry-gloves.html

Currently on general offer for around 85 pounds in UK.

Fine for an hours ride to work when it was -3c the other Monday morning and hands dry after a couple if hours in the rain last Saturday on a run on the M1 into North London for the rugby.

Might not be up to a North American winter but it's looking likely that they'll be fine over here in East Anglia.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Mouse
    07-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 K1200S
    Motorcycle
    '16 Thruxton
    Motorcycle
    '75 CB750-4 S/S
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    I got a new pair of Gerbings heated liners if interested in going that route.

Real Name
    bever
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    i`ve got these and love them, i need warm gloves for my hands, but only ride in weather down to zero celcius here, but with these gloves and the heated grips on low a can ride in that weather

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ent_prod/83815

and they are not to think to actually ride with (((-:

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Those look promising. Thank you.

I did a couple hours looking through Cycle Gear online and Revzilla reviews. I'll probably bite the bullet and stick with the electric heated gloves I have, and if the Gerbing jacket connection fails this winter, I'll buy a Venture heated jacket liner to replace it.

Realistically, I'm no longer forced to commute year around like I was when working. So if it gets down into the temperature range that is causing my hands to get cold, I can always take the Subaru Outback with its heated seats to church, the prison or grocery store.

Chris

11. Likes ruffyz liked this post

Real Name
    Greg
    09-29-22
    How did the Cortech Scarab perform? I have Tourmaster Cold tex and they are warm but have no fall protection.
    Greg
    2011 F800st
    SW Motech bar backs, Remus exhaust, Power commander, Racetech fork springs 

Real Name
    Cramer
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I still have my Cortech Scarab from 14 years ago and they are great. I only use them below 50 degrees. Every year I give them a fresh coat of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP Leather Conditioner. I wore them today for my commute. It was 32 on the way in and 38 on the way home. My Cortech's are showing their age, so I'll follow this thread to see what would be good a replacement.I use Rukka Virium for any weather between 45 and 80. I love them! I would seriously consider that brand for a winter glove. My Cortech's are showing their age, so I'll follow this thread to see what others think would be good a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The Scarabs I have work well too. Protection is great. I'd love to find something like them, but with another 100 g of insulation on the back of the hand.

I tried wearing some Aerostitch 3 finger gloves over my Gerbings. I didn't even turn the heat on. They felt awkward though.

Real Name
    Rod
    09-23-22
    I just acquired a left Cortech Scarab glove. Some guy lost the right one somewhere in CT, and decided to give away the remaining one. This will work nicely while I save up for my heated grip replacement lol.

Glad to see they work well.

10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    I've been using these since last winter - Highway 21 Have not gone much below freezing, but with hand guards to deal with direct wind these do a pretty good job. I woudn't say the keep my hands 'warm' in freezing temps, but the certainly aren't cold either. My fingers just feel 'normal' if that makes sense. Probably would work down to low 20's on their own and even lower if combined with heated grips.

Real Name
    Gerry
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I know Chris found a solution for now but I would consider looking at snowmobile gloves as well. I have a pair of textile Olympia snowmobile gloves that are probably 12-15 years old. Have knuckle protection but are somewhat bulky so only use them in the coldest conditions. I do not think they make them any longer as I could not see anything similar on the Olympia site. Most snowmobile gloves they show have leather and (happily) look less bulky. I presume materials have improved to cut the bulk.

Also (as Richard mentions),Hippo Hands are something which I have seen many of my fellow area riders use and swear by them. They look dorky but apparently are very effective for winter riding. Lastly, other I ride with use the Hot Hands heat pack inserts in the gloves.

https://hothands.com/
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Rod
    09-23-22
    Ya, I grabbed some cheapo Hippo Hands clones off Amazon, and they were pretty amazing in the rain. They slightly interfered with the controls, but nothing too serious. They kept my hands warm and dry and I didn't even really notice my dead left grip heater. They work in a pinch, but I'd prefer gloves over the muffs.

19. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I tried the 3-fingered gloves from Aerostitch the other day. They work remarkably well - but you really have some issues trying to feel the controls with these lobster claws on your hands.

I was looking at my Gerbing gloves today. They are thick and will keep the hands warm- especially if you can keep the cold wind off them.

What dissapoints me though, is there is virtually no protection in those gloves. Are they really any different than snowmobile gloves? And yet, I would expect that the slick winter riding conditions are more of the situation where I'd potentially take a fall and need that protection on my knuckles and hand.

Handlebar muffs are probably the first and best consideration for the rider who will be riding in cold rainy weather. After that, look for good protection gloves like the Cortech Scarab gloves.

Chris

08-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F 800 ST
    I've had good luck with using wool liner gloves inside waterproof motorcycle gloves. I think the waterproofing does a decent job blocking the wind, and the wool keeps the heat in.

My current setup is https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...oves?gclsrc=ds with https://www.minus33.com/wool/merino-.../3600/product/

It's an expensive setup, but Held is the one brand that sells short sized gloves to accommodate those with sausage fingers.

Real Name
    Cramer
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    While I was shopping for new "3 season" (40-80 F) gloves last year, I almost bought the Held Air N Dry gloves, but they don't work with touchscreen. They had all the other features I was looking for. Because of that, and that alone, I went with the Rukka Virium. Gortex, but no insulation. Mine are a bit tight to use liners, but I occasionally use liners in my winter gloves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs