Coronavirus - To Ride, or Not To Ride - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    You rarely hear "SARS-CoV-2" over here. What the laymen hear most often is "Covid 19" or "coronavirus". If you got into an argument at a bar over the term SARS-CoV-2, you'd win the bet because technically you're right, but no one on the street would know what you mean.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. Likes Lag liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I'm cool with the ignorant Chris. I'm cool.

What's best to keep in mind is that there is the virus (we'll call it the corona virus) and there is the illness, which is called COVID-19.

One of the key things about the spread of corona virus is that it gets carried around all cosy and warm inside COVID-19 people. It doesn't crawl along the ground. People still seem to wonder (and the fools wonder out loud) "How did it get here" "How did it spread" "Will sunlight help, if it is a tremendous, ultraviolet or powerful light?".

If it gets to Alices Restaurant it is because somebody rode into the car park from afar and snotted somewhere.

5. Likes Roadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    All the razzle dazzle aside, call it what you want,,,, its as complicated as you want to make it or as simple,,!!

7. Likes WildWilly, Daboo liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
    ...What's best to keep in mind is that there is the virus (we'll call it the corona virus) and there is the illness, which is called COVID-19...
    And the rest of us don't really care what you call it.

What I have found out, is those who claim to know all the answers, really don't.

As I wrote earlier today, all I want to do is do my best to protect my Family. As far as judging those who wear a mask, or don't wear a mask...or those who self-quarantine, or those who don't...I'm not going to judge. Each of us makes the best decision we can with the information we have at the time. And in a week, the information that we have will quite possibly change...no matter what you call it, or how scientific you want to come across as.

There are far more important things to spend my time on.

Chris

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Hey, Chris, I found another ignorant person. Cool.

I get that you don't care what I call it. I get that you make the most of the information you have at the time. I doubt it coz cuz you keep missing the guts of it, but I get it. I get that you think I "want to come across" scientific, even where it is just routine facts that I type. I don't get that my trying to stick to logic and careful consideration makes you want to always talk about the masks.

I also get that like you, there are a lot of people that feel they have far more important things to spend their time on. I get it. But around about 1.5 million people in the US who thought like you got it. Got it good.

[Edited to remove religious content. - Daboo]

About 90,000 of your countrymen shure as gosh got that, eh?

11. Likes Roadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Ian
    08-26-22
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    As senior citizens with a wife who suffers asthma and a brother-in-law who is recovering from cancer (shared house), it is pretty important to me that neither I, nor anyone else brings it to our house !

Ian
    Last edited by Norfolk UK; 05-19-20 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Typo
    2014 GT Orange. Just the comfort pack and heated grips - not into gizmos.

"Pity the man who wasn't born in the Highlands and hears the pipes"  

13. Likes WildWilly, Roadpizza, BoxerBits, MGD109, scf liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    Agree with you there Ian.

No medical qualifications required, it's common sense that while we have an infectious disease to contend with, don't make unnecessary journeys.

Justification of a trip to a cancelled bike rally would be a difficult task. Why take the risk when others could potentially suffer as a result?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

15. Likes Roadpizza, Norfolk UK, MGD109, scf liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    07-06-20
    Ian, I hear you. I am a type one diabetic and my wife has heart issues that have us in no mood to tolerate anyone not taking this serious as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk UK View Post
    As senior citizens with a wife who suffers asthma and a brother-in-law who is recovering from cancer (shared house), it is pretty important to me that neither I, nor anyone else brings it to our house !

Ian
    BMW F800S…….

There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies.... 

17. Likes BoxerBits, Norfolk UK, MGD109 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadpizza View Post
    Ian, I hear you. I am a type one diabetic and my wife has heart issues that have us in no mood to tolerate anyone not taking this serious as it is.
    I'm 75 and have a heart condition, so contacting this would be a death sentence. I'm also taking it very serious.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

19. Likes BoxerBits, Roadpizza, 308bever, Norfolk UK liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I totally understand the last several posts, and your personal health situations. Let me ask a question to think about. Have you gone to the store in the last couple months to buy food? Or the hardware store to buy supplies for your home projects? I suspect you have, and took a chance of being exposed to the coronavirus. Or you had someone else go to the store for you, exposing them to the coronavirus, which means they could pass it on to you.

I went to Fred Meyer the other night to buy groceries for two families. I needed to go down one aisle to get something. A man was standing there in the aisle without a mask. I had a KN95 mask on, so started down the aisle. Before I could leave the aisle, seven people went into that aisle. None had a mask on.

I had a far greater chance of catching the coronavirus on that one trip to Fred Meyer, than I did in three days at a "rally" that only had seven of us attending.

Chris

21. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I go to the grocery store once every 3 weeks, at 7:00am on a Sunday morning. That is my only exposure. There are very few people in the store. I have a question . . . what would kill you first, not attending a rally or not eating?

23. Likes 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT

Was that a serious question?

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    No, but I thought it ranked up there with "Have you gone to the store in the last couple of months to buy food?"

26. Likes OX-34, MGD109 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    There's a risk in what each of us do. You weigh the risk and make your choices. It is more hazardous each time I go to the store, than it was on that trip. And each of us goes to the store.

I think it might've been Richard who said they were finally able to travel 10 miles away from home instead of just 5 miles. And whoever posted that, asked the question...what's the difference?

Chris

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    For me it comes down to a simple choice - Essential or Non Essential. If I ride to a rally (non essential) I will still have to get groceries (essential). Even if my chances of ending up with Covid-19 from the non essential rally trip are minuscule, they are still greater than if I only went for essential groceries. I'm not willing to accept that risk in a life or death situation. And with my simple choice philosophy, I'm not confused by the different rules of any town or city or state or country. 5 miles, 10 miles, 10 feet or 10 inches, all I do is what's essential.
    Chris, I hope you and your loved ones are able to avoid Covid-19. My greatest fear is not dying from it, but giving it to someone else.

29. Likes Norfolk UK liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    The "if you traveled 10 miles to get here, turn around and go home" illuminated sign is still up in our town. To my knowledge my county is the only one in the entire state that has that rule.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    The "if you traveled 10 miles to get here, turn around and go home" illuminated sign is still up in our town. To my knowledge my county is the only one in the entire state that has that rule.
    And with my simple choice philosophy, I'm not confused by the different rules of any town or city or state or country. 5 miles, 10 miles, 10 feet or 10 inches, all I do is what's essential.

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Hey, Chris, I found another ignorant person. Cool.

..... But around about 1.5 million people in the US who thought like you got it. Got it good.

[Edited to remove religious content. - Daboo]

About 90,000 of your countrymen shure as gosh got that, eh?
    Sorry about that everyone. I mixed life, death and religion in the same sentence in this thread and Chris rightly edited my post. My bad.

33. Likes Roadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    07-06-20
    It happens....and was corrected.
    BMW F800S…….

There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies.... 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I really wasn't sure what I'd find as I traveled to Idaho. The official Idaho rules are that if you live locally, only essential travel is allowed. If you are coming in from out of state, you must self-quarantine for 14 days. If you're going to be in Idaho for less than 14 days, you self-quarantine for the time of your stay.

But I had called the owner of the resort earlier and she said they weren't having any issues with quarantining. When I got there, I talked to her while paying the bill. She said that Kamiah was a small town where everyone knew everyone else. The sheriff had said at the beginning of the state rules that he wasn't going to enforce any restrictions. In Kamiah, no one wears a mask. She said only when you go to the larger cities like Lewiston, that anyone wears a mask.

And Snohomish county said in the beginning that they weren't going to enforce the stay at home policy either. People have done the right thing for the most part on their own.

Motorcycling is inherently "self-quarantining". When you stop, is when you have to be aware of what you're doing. Hand sanitizer when you're done filling up. If I go into the store for the toilet, I wear my KN95 mask. I'm used to looking strange as I wear my hi-vis riding gear into stores anyway, so a mask is not big deal to my ego. I bring my own food so I'm not exposing them or me any more than I have to. And if you're with others, you stay away when you stop.

Chris

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Sorry about that everyone. I mixed life, death and religion in the same sentence in this thread and Chris rightly edited my post. My bad.
    If you want to get religion in the non religion sections, put it in your signature. Evidently that's OK.

37. Likes scf liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    .....I think it might've been Richard who said they were finally able to travel 10 miles away from home instead of just 5 miles. And whoever posted that, asked the question...what's the difference?
    Of course it was Richard, he keeps asking questions like that. Heck, golly a couple of posts later he asked "Why is only my county blah blah blah", no matter how many times variations of his same question get answered. He has the right to be repetitive, its just a motorbike forum. Oil, what's best?

Anyway.

I'm pretty sure most people understand the concept and mechanism of the spread of COVID-19. Trying to reduce the spread at one extreme is 'open it up!!!' and at the other end 'stay home'. The latter has some problems for all of us, but even someone from Idaho or somewhere could probably understand that 'stay home' seems a good idea if you live in New York City, NY. With your non-sniffling nose pressed against the glass of your apartment window you could see the Zombie Apocalypse writhing in the streets below you. Because of all the high rise - a vertical city - there seems to be a hospital on just about every block. Outside the hospital (you can see it from here) on one side there is a line of ambulances sitting at idle, machines going 'ping'. At the front door there is a snaking conga line of 6 feet apart sick-looking people trying to get in. There are barriers, rubbish overflowing and blowing in the streets and general sense of , oh well, oh hell. (I mean Oh heck. Can't say hell here.) Around the back of the hospital there is a line of refrigerated trucks, idling also, as they will soon be filled up and tootling over to Hart Island to unload the dead.

'Stay home' sounds good.

Travel 5 miles? In that case you would want to have a very good reason to wander about to reach the 5 miles mark and get back home before the dark cloud rolls over you.
    10 miles? What, all the way up through the city past Harlem, past Hudson Heights? WHAT FOR - to take a stroll around in Fort Tryon Park for exercise? Are you totally crazy? You want me to slither past a million people to do a couple of squats and lunges and push-ups on the grass? NO-FREAKIN-WAY am I doing that.
    1 mile to dart to the shops for food and supplies even sounds a bit risky. You could try to do a Zatopek and run the distance holding your breath, the little tags of your mask flapping along behind you. A mile sounds a long way.

5 miles? Pick your town, city or county, doesn't matter, state even. '5 miles' from home gets you a 78 square mile area to play. (Or get and give COVID-19) You have 78 miles to negotiate, choose wisely. 10 miles? Now you have 314 square miles as your back yard. Draw the 2 circles on a map with the pin at your front door.

"Whats the difference?" It depends where you're standing.

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    official Idaho rules are that if you live locally, only essential travel is allowed. If you are coming in from out of state, you must self-quarantine for 14 days
    Are you comfortable in the knowledge that you've both broken the state rules, and put your own family at risk by your actions?

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    A neighboring county has just modified its "shelter-in-place" regulations to say that it is now OK for large groups to assemble near each other - provided that they arrive in cars, meet in a large parking lot, stay in their cars and keep the windows rolled up. Sounds like fun. They also specifically mentioned that this could not be done on motorcycles (no windows?). I still think that a lot of these local health official rules are absurd.

I might add that all along those 5/10 miles of travel, and for many miles further, are signs saying no parking, all beaches and trails are closed, local residents only. Drawing circles on a map is not all that helpful when looking for a place to exercise or enjoy the outdoors, especially when only beaches and public trails are accessible to the public. Most other open space areas are privately owned and posted "no trespassing". It takes about 30 miles of traveling to get to an open space district or county park that has hiking trails that are still open.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    In my area we have speed limits of 15mph, 20mph, 25mph, 30mph, 35mph, 40mph, 45mph etc. etc. This is so confusing.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    Are you comfortable in the knowledge that you've both broken the state rules, and put your own family at risk by your actions?
    Yes.

Chris

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    Have to assume that US lockdown rules are not legally binding. In UK they have been issuing fines and for repeat offenders threat of court action.

Wish you well but don't agree with your ideas on how to safeguard.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    From what I hear locally, occasionally people get tickets for walking along the beach if they are not local, but little else is being enforced by the police when it comes to the Covid-19 regulations. They are typically enforced by stores keeping customers out if they are not wearing masks, by cops shutting down businesses that they feel are not essential and by concerned citizens telling other people what to do. A great example of police enforcement is that last week a newsstand selling newspapers in San Francisco was closed by the police, while the adjacent candy shop was allowed to remain open. The candy shop was deemed as "essential" by the police, while the newsstand was not. Apparently reading newspapers is not an essential thing to do right now, at least not in San Francisco.

What is keeping the cops really busy though, is issuing parking tickets and ticketing speeders traveling over 100 mph. It was reported in the news today that the CHP issued over 2000 tickets for speeding over 100 mph last month and tens of thousands more for lesser speeding offenses.

45. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Went for a pretty good 300Km ride up the coast hi-way to Whistler yesterday,,. Good to see things are opening up a bit,,, Starbucks,,, Fast food,,. Some of the lake and recreational parking lots are open that weren't a week ago, one service station Deli even had washrooms open, clean as a whistle,. Everything is being done with new distancing rules and procedures' in place,,. Lots of folks out but pretty civilized with no bunching up,,.

No tickets or cops for that matter but they are there,,. Expect these revenue starved governments to be beating the drums for funds,,. Greater Vancouver has just installed 36 intersection, red light and speeding cameras,,. pretty easy to forget where these all are,,!!

47. Likes Roadpizza, Daboo, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    ... Greater Vancouver has just installed 36 intersection, red light and speeding cameras,,. pretty easy to forget where these all are,,!!
    I use a radar detector in dry weather. Not so much to speed, but because I like toys. One of the features, is that it'll warn you of red light cameras.

I recently bought a TomTom Rider 550 GPS and a Garmin Zumo XT. Both will warn you of red light cameras.

Chris

49. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	364203  

51. Likes 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    I think Chris sees laws as nothing more than earthly man-made scribbles and jibber jabber; the snot, death and devastation caused by the current COVID-19 pandemic is a ray of hope and sunshine, a tremendous whether it be ultraviolet or just very powerful light.

To his sick family he would just say 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the fever except through me.' Cough, cough.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I think that no matter what I said, if it differed from the the opinion of the experts here, I would be wrong.

Interesting article on ADVRider. https://advrider.com/are-we-riding-l...ent=05_20_2020

Data Doesn't Lie
    Are we Riding less or more Motorcycle due to COVID-19?

The numbers don’t lie. We’re riding 5x more compared to early March. Why? And which countries lead the charge?

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I just returned from hiking at the local county park. They have a new rule that they didn't have last week. Now the sign at the entry says that you must wear a mask, or carry one with you.

All of the trails are marked for one-way travel, at least that makes sense to me. Several trails were closed for unknown reasons. However one trail that was open warned that a mountain lion has been seen on the trail lately and recommended not wearing ear buds and listening to music while hiking on that trail. Now that also seems like good advice.

55. Likes Daboo, OX-34 liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Open it up. I wanna see us open by Easter. Make that May. Maybe June. Might be open by then, might not. Maybe. I'd like to see it. Bing bing bing.

From very early on, at least in places that tried to flatten the curve the call was to 'flatten the curve'. It has been hard on just about everyone and utterly tragic for some places. There are no hard and fast rules that can be applied across the board and as a consequence each jurisdiction has had to do the best that they could using local knowledge and general principles. Sometimes that has been confusing, but often not so much the measures themselves, but understanding where and why the lines are drawn has been a struggle.

Where I live, my side of the street has 2296 postcode (zip code), whereas across the street it is 2293. Some people struggle with this, but not round here. We understand that a line must be drawn on a map to delineate suburb, town, city, county, province, state, nation. Sometimes as Bill suggests, a speed limit may change, other times maybe the official language changes from one side of the street to the other. Sometimes health regulations may change and especially right now, like a San Francisco newstand that sells cigars has to close , but a wine shop can open because it sells cheese. Mask or no mask.

Some people are coping, making the most of the situation and being creative (heck, gosh some even strap on a radar detector and run the border all bootlegger-style). Others just seem to blubber and whinge and bang on all me-me-me. Like a 3 year old asking 'But whyyy? But whyyyyy?'

Just keep flattening the curve, stop doing stuff to infect each other every single day and we'll all get there in the end.

57. Likes Roadpizza, 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If they would just stop testing, there'd be far fewer new cases.

Boeing opened up the factories the other day. A number of other businesses have opened again. All 50 states have relaxed their lockdown rules somewhat. The extent depends on where you live. Richard lives in one of the better or worse areas depending on your point of view.

Chris

59. Likes OX-34 liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I heard today that Ford had opened up one of their auto factories and almost immediately shut it down after two workers were tested and found to have the Covid-19 virus.

Next Monday is Memorial Day and the weather in the SF Bay Area is predicted to be warm and sunny. I am definitely planning on staying home that day. I expect that it will be traffic chaos on the highways, especially anywhere near the coast. Let the carnage commence.

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

Good article Chris.

************************************************** ********************************

A graph without a scale always irritates me and the ADVrider article cropped it from the main graph, so I went to the source article.(https://scenicapp.space/blog/are-we-...e-to-covid-19/)

So it is generally weather and the imposition or lifting or restrictions that has been seen to be major factors. Who'da thunk?

The last part of the article in the blogger's words:

"What does it all mean?

I do this analyses pure for informative purposes! It should not be taken as an input to define your behaviour regarding COVID-19. It does not add value compared to the primary data for number of cases and number of deaths. Please don’t take any action based on this analyses. I’m not a coronavirus expert at all!

If you must take action then take the safe route. Stay inside, distance yourself, rather sooner than later. The sooner you take action (even if your government doesn’t) the better! This thing is exponential. The earlier you take action the bigger the effect will be (this goes for positive as well as negative action)!!!

Furthermore I don’t know about all government policies in all countries regarding lockdown measures and moments when they were lifted or eased. If you have additional information regarding this please feel free to comment below.

Stay safe everyone!"

62. Likes Roadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I should mention that I have no objection to rules, I just want to have the reason for them explained to me so that I can be convinced that they make sense and are something that I can feel good about following. But when new rules seem to drop out of trees almost every day, I have to wonder what changed since last week and why we need another rule to be safe. The Governor is always saying that the rules have been formulated based upon "data" and "science", but I have yet to hear him say what science and what data.

My daughter was asking me the other day that she had heard that her county had entered a "modified phase two" set of regulations, including a long list of businesses and recreational areas that are now open to the public. But she hadn't heard any details about the changes. Just that things had loosened up. It seems to me that there are a great many new rules being enacted, but I have yet to see anything like a comprehensive list of the changes. So all I could do is to tell her to dig into the internet and see if she could find a list of the latest rules and changes. Right now I am hearing a report on the radio that her county is opening up various recreational areas for the Memorial Day holiday for limited use. The sheriff who was interviewed provided a long list of very large and popular areas that remained closed, but didn't mention a single area that was being opened to the public. However he did say that since April 1 they had given out over 1000 parking citations to people parking illegally. And so it goes....

64. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Hey Richard, I found this link under a rock:

https://www.cityofpacifica.org/about/coronavirus.asp

66. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I should mention that I have no objection to rules, I just want to have the reason for them explained to me so that I can be convinced that they make sense and are something that I can feel good about following. But when new rules seem to drop out of trees almost every day, I have to wonder what changed since last week and why we need another rule to be safe. The Governor is always saying that the rules have been formulated based upon "data" and "science", but I have yet to hear him say what science and what data.
    ...And so it goes....
    Our governor, Jay Inslee, has started putting out "news" articles that talk of the penalties for violating the lock down order. I think he's trying to stem the tide, but will fail. Traffic volume has been up the past couple weeks, and the number of people you see out and about is higher. I'm seeing a lot of people in the stores...including the employees...not wearing a mask. Companies like Boeing have reopened the factories. That's at least 70,000 employees alone there. Many other stores are opening. Hair salons are still closed, restaurants too. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens to churches. In California (I think), the DOJ has said it is unconstitutional to prohibit churches from reopening, but shopping malls are allowed to open. Even if my church is allowed to open, I wonder how they'll approach it. We had over 4000 show up each Sunday and the place was packed. How do you get that many people in a confined space...and still have social distancing? Old Chinese curse...may you live in interesting times. Well, we are.

I think the "problem" with the rules, Richard, is that the government is making the rules. And the rule makers in the government are people, like you and me. We're not infallible. In fact, despite our best intentions, we make mistakes and can't think of everything. Like why a barbershop can't open, but a marijuana store can.

So I do like you do, I'm sure. I sit back. Do my home projects...working on a kitchen renovation right now. Occasionally I get out to go shopping. And I look at the risks and how best to protect myself and my family...despite what others are doing.

Chris

68. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I would say that the graph is more weather dependant then C19 dependant,,. I can vouch for the Canadian aspect for sure as were experiencing colder and wetter then normal temperatures so far this season, we have cancelled more to do with the weather then anything else,,.

As far as the rest, any riding I have done this season approx. 4000 km,s is far safer from a social distancing perspective then many other things I have been doing, and I'm pretty careful,,. When I'm in my neighborhood or out on necessary errands there are numerous near miss exposures with neighbors, other customers, merchants or merchandise that they have handled, I personally find joggers, peddle bike riders to be particularly bad,,. I haven't experienced any of these same proximity issues while out on rides where we usually pack a lunch, only stop for gas at self serve auto pay stations, and have very little interaction beyond the 2 or 3 riders your with,,. One thing we cant do is overnight anywhere, haven't figured that one out yet but more then likely camping later on in the summer,,!!

70. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    ...As far as the rest, any riding I have done this season approx. 4000 km,s is far safer from a social distancing perspective then many other things I have been doing, and I'm pretty careful,,.
    Oh no! I hope I wasn't a bad influence on you!!

I was invited to go over to a private rally with another group in mid-June. It ought to be beautiful. Great roads, and even on "normal" traffic times, there's no traffic out there. Just nice twisty roads out in the country. We're keeping it small with just a few of us there.

In the meantime, there are riders up in the local area to meet up with, and I don't really mind at all in riding solo. I hear the North Cascades Highway is open now. Artist Point on Mt. Baker up north will be open soon, and Mt. St. Helens down south as well.

Chris

72. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS

In the meantime, there are riders up in the local area to meet up with, and I don't really mind at all in riding solo. I hear the North Cascades Highway is open now. Artist Point on Mt. Baker up north will be open soon, and Mt. St. Helens down south as well.

Chris
    Nothing the matter with riding, Ive been at it since March 15 this year and plan to do more,,. Not sure on the US/Can border,,. I usually do a lot in Wa.,,Or.,,. May be a while and I'm not so sure on this whole "opening up thing", very problematic the way its been handled IMHO,,!!

One further point,,. Rather then pigeon hole every action, you just need to be practical,,. The reason these Governor's, Mayors, Sheriffs and so on have all these rules that sometimes don't seem applicable is that the world is a densely populated place,,. You open this up or that up and 10,000 people showup on a beach somewhere and you cant police it,,. No one cares if a few biker buddies take to the back roads and stick to themselves,,!!

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

I was invited to go over to a private rally with another group in mid-June. It ought to be beautiful. Great roads, and even on "normal" traffic times, there's no traffic out there. Just nice twisty roads out in the country. We're keeping it small with just a few of us there.

Chris
    Chris, I haven't ridden in North America for 5 years. Next time I'd love to spend a good few days up in that north west USA/south west CAN corner. Here we have some mountains that you guys would only call hills and nowhere near as many passes to ride over.

But we have been lucky on the east coast of Oz because we have had no ride restrictions inside our state. I haven't done any Iron Butt length rides, but have been getting out for latte rides of 500km or so.

I can't wait until we're all here saying 'remember COVID-19' as we discuss the latest plasma/solar powered hoverbike and how we miss the smell of burning rubber in the morning. Ah, tyres may not have worked as well as the new-fangled laser-guided flux thrusters but they were entertaining.

Ride well fellas.

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	364259  

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Here is another one of those pandemic rules that don't make any sense to me: The regulation throughout California is that breweries must be shut down and can not sell beer unless they also sell food at the same time. A Brewery (with 5 employees) opened up in Pacifica earlier this year and made the front page of the area tourist and local destination magazine. When the pandemic hit the police chief closed the place down because they didn't sell food with their takeout beer. So then they switched to making hand sanitizer and sold that to the public (takeout also). Then they were shut down again because they were selling their hand sanitizer to the general public and not to hospitals or medical workers. When that happened, the story went viral and was reported on news programs across the state. A few days later they were allowed to go back to making and selling hand sanitizers, according to a report that I heard on the news yesterday.

This morning there is another brewery story. A brewery in Placer County (if my memory is correct) figured out how to beat the state health order. They started selling a steamed hot dog with every takeout beer. That got state health officials upset and they are trying to get the brewery shut down via the state alcohol permitting agency, who is said to be scratching their head trying to figure out if a steamed hot dog is considered "food". (I guess the real question should be is any hot dog is real food? ) My guess is that now that the story has hit the news, I bet the enforcers will cave and breweries will soon be back open selling beer and hot dogs - just like down at the old (and closed) ballpark.

It is rules and regulations like this that don't make any sense to the general public and cause them to wonder about the more serious and important health safety regulations. If the dumb rules can be broken then what other rules can be bent. There is a lot of thought going in that direction right now.

Here is one more extreme example of the public revolting against the law that I heard about this morning. Parking lots all along the coast highway for miles in every direction are blocked off with caution tape, plastic no parking sawhorse signs and other movable barriers to keep cars from parking along the coast and people off the public and state beaches and parks. It was reported this morning that people are now so frustrated with the closed parking areas that they are removing the signs, tape and barricades, tossing them into the weeds and down the adjacent cliffs, and parking where the signs used to be. (No signs, no tickets.) What with a beautiful, warm and sunny three day holiday coming up the cops are going to go crazy keeping up with the hoards of families descending upon the coast and invading the beaches. At least they can still issue citations for people sitting on the sand, instead of walking and running along the beach. (Another rule that I can't understand. You would think that sitting, while practicing social distancing from others, would be better than running and walking past other runners and walkers who are all huffing and puffing and spreading their breath droplets all around - while chasing their off-leash dog that is harassing both people and shoreline birds. )

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Richard, I was going to read your post but decided to wait until the movie comes out . . .

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    Richard, I was going to read your post but decided to wait until the movie comes out . . .
    The executive summary is that under the state's pandemic rules, beer breweries are to be shut down - unless they sell food with their beer. So one brewery in a Serra Nevada foothills county decided to sell a steamed hotdog with every beer sale. This is driving the state's rule-makers crazy and they are currently trying to decide if a steamed hot dog is really food.

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    The executive summary is that under the state's pandemic rules, beer breweries are to be shut down - unless they sell food with their beer. So one brewery in a Serra Nevada foothills county decided to sell a steamed hotdog with every beer sale. This is driving the state's rule-makers crazy and they are currently trying to decide if a steamed hot dog is really food.
    I think Joe Pesci should play the brewery owner. . . .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast