Dual Sport Helmet Question - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm not ready to throw away my Shoei Neotec just yet, but I'm thinking about what I might get next. Do any of you use a Dual Sport helmet with the visor on top? If so, how well does that work. My thoughts are that perhaps it can be adjusted to move down like a sun visor on a car. Does it cause buffeting? What's the drawbacks?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

06-27-22
    I have an Arai XD4. It’s very comfortable, high quality, reasonably quiet and has great ventilation. The visor is slightly angled down so it usually doesn’t catch much wind. However, it can be a bit tiring on your neck at highway speeds, particularly if you don’t have a high windscreen. In general, I prefer my Schuberth C3 for highway and the XD4 for dual-sport, slower rides, particularly when it’s hot. The Schuberth is much quieter and aerodynamic, and has a secondary retractable dark face shield, which is very handy. It’s also modular, which is very convenient when you need to talk to someone or drink water. Overall, I’m very happy with both helmets.

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Do any of these dual-sport helmets allow the visor to be moved up and down? Or I should ask, is that what that visor is for...to block the sun? Or is there another purpose that I'm missing entirely?

Chris

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

04-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    ... Or I should ask, is that what that visor is for...to block the sun? Or is there another purpose that I'm missing entirely?

Chris
    I have always thought they were invented simply to match that goofy looking front end beak on a GS?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

8. Likes Daboo liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Chris,
    I've had a couple Cycle Gear Sedici ADV helmets. I really like the shape and function of it. The beak visor works well as a shade. I have to really lift my head up high from a seated position to catch the wind. The Sedici comes a bit larger than indicated. My Xsmall is still a bit loose fit. I just ordered a Blaze LS2 helmet from Bert Mega mall. Still on the inexpensive side at $149. I'm hoping it functions as well as the Sedici and fits tighter.
    The Sedici helmet has a weakness in the mechanism for the internal dark shield and is prone to breaking. Their replacement practice is pretty good though, 2 year warranty.
    Generally with my aftermarket windshields, Cal SCI/Laminar lip on the BMW and a MRA Vario on the DL650 I rarely have to use the clear shield. Maybe just in the rain or when it's really cold.

10. Likes Daboo liked this post

01-12-22
    I'm guessing we're talking about an adventure style helmet that has both a visor and face shield. My dual sport helmet doesn't have a face shield, but the visor is very handy for blocking sun, roosted mud/rocks or tree branches that are heading towards your face. A quick head nod is all it takes, so the visor on an off road helmet is very functional. For street, I would think it's mostly a sun blocking issue, which we all know is very important. A riding friend uses a Shoei X2 on his Vstrom and he claims the visor doesn't add turbulence or wind noise at normal highway speeds and I'm pretty sure his windshield is stock. For the street, I can't think of many situations where the visor would save you from impact or major vision blocking issues other than sun and that happens all the time, so it may be worth looking into. It's much safer than using your left hand as a visor and how many have had to do that, knowing it's bad.....I have.

12. Likes Daboo, notacop liked this post

Real Name
    Geoff
    09-27-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    I'm not ready to throw away my Shoei Neotec just yet, but I'm thinking about what I might get next. Do any of you use a Dual Sport helmet with the visor on top? ....

Chris
    Are you referring to what Noraly (https://www.itchyboots.com/) wears?
    Sundog 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by XR1000 View Post
    ...For the street, I can't think of many situations where the visor would save you from impact or major vision blocking issues other than sun and that happens all the time, so it may be worth looking into. It's much safer than using your left hand as a visor and how many have had to do that, knowing it's bad.....I have.
    I should probably clarify things. As I get to looking at reviews online, they call it a "visor", a "beak" and a "peak". It's this thingie:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beak.png 
Views:	810 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	369623

Anthony did a good job in his review, but didn't call the thingie by any name unfortunately.

So as XR1000 pointed out, I'm looking for something that might even be adjustable to block the sun...and for the rest of the time, it doesn't cause any issues like turbulence, etc. I have some roads around here where for months of the year, the sun lines up with the road direction and as the sun is coming down, you have little choice of what to do, except use your left hand...or be blinded.

Chris

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog52 View Post
    Are you referring to what Noraly (https://www.itchyboots.com/) wears?
    Exactly. Though I doubt I'd look nearly as good wearing one. Those eyes are incredible.

Name:	IB1.png 
Views:	873 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	369625

Name:	IBFront.png 
Views:	949 
Size:	820.0 KB 
ID:	369627

I used to think a helmet like that was only used for trail riding. But I'm beginning to think it might be a good design to move to with my next helmet.

Chris

16. Likes 308bever liked this post

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I use a Caberg Tourmax (pic at bottom) and think it's brilliant. I've been using a Caberg Duke for a number of years the Tourmax is the same helmet with a peak. Bought specifically because it's modular and so chin bar can be lifted, has an internal sun visor that I can use with a gloved hand at any speed and it has a dual sport peak. The peak in none adjustable but I don't believe being able to adjust it would be advantage, for those moments when you round a corner and are faced with a low winter sun I simply nod my head downwards and block out the sun.

I have no issue with an increase in buffeting but "life saver" glances at motorway speeds and there is a very noticeable amount of drag which some may find tiring, it's a price I'm happy to pay to be able to instantly block out low sun moments.

In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Geoff
    09-27-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    Exactly. Though I doubt I'd look nearly as good wearing one. Those eyes are incredible.

Name:	IB1.png 
Views:	873 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	369625

Name:	IBFront.png 
Views:	949 
Size:	820.0 KB 
ID:	369627

I used to think a helmet like that was only used for trail riding. But I'm beginning to think it might be a good design to move to with my next helmet.

Chris
    Notice how she attached the camera mounting bracket....velcro is good for this application
    Sundog 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    I use a Caberg Tourmax (pic at bottom) and think it's brilliant. I've been using a Caberg Duke for a number of years the Tourmax is the same helmet with a peak. Bought specifically because it's modular and so chin bar can be lifted, has an internal sun visor that I can use with a gloved hand at any speed and it has a dual sport peak. The peak in none adjustable but I don't believe being able to adjust it would be advantage, for those moments when you round a corner and are faced with a low winter sun I simply nod my head downwards and block out the sun.

I have no issue with an increase in buffeting but "life saver" glances at motorway speeds and there is a very noticeable amount of drag which some may find tiring, it's a price I'm happy to pay to be able to instantly block out low sun moments.

nice lids - too bad we can't get them here - or can we ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Chris, I finally got my LS2 Blaze helmet from Bert's Mega Mall. You had asked about adjustability of the beak thingy. The LS2 does have an adjustable beak. there's a slot that allows about an inch of movement. So the beak can go forward or aft.
    Haven't had a chance to try it yet so I can't vouch for the convenience of moving it.
    The helmet is DOT and ECE certified, not Snell.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Interesting. Thanks. I'm one of those people who tries to look ahead for things that I might need in the future.

I like my current helmet and have no immediate plans to replace it, but I've had it for about five years now. Back several years ago, I dropped a helmet on the ground that was covered in rocks. It basically destroyed the helmet. I found myself scrambling to replace it. I could find myself in the same situation tomorrow. I'd like to be prepared to at least narrow the field some.

Chris

01-12-22
    I came across this last night and thought it gave some good tips for evaluation adventure helmets. Plus for the adventure guys out there it's pretty entertaining to see some of the crazy trials/tracks he and his buddies get themselves into. Like Itchy Boots, he's been trying to put out short videos on a fairly regular basis, some day riding, some adventure trips and some maintenance stuff. Maybe you'll find them interesting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SkYjbCbak

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Thanks for the link. I watched the video and was impressed.

Chris

Real Name
    Bruce
    03-05-22
    I've got the re-branded Touratech helmets. Full face and the modular. Works really well.

The visor is to shield you from the sun when the glare from the dust gets on your shield/goggles.
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor and H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    This Touratech helmet looks interesting. Is it the one you have?

Chris

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Daboo, dropping some of the ADV helmets isn't as damaging as on a regular helmet. On several the shade beak is mounted in a manner that it covers a goodly portion of the top of the helmet and adds a layer of flexible plastic that would absorb the shock of the helmet hitting the ground or rocks. The Sedici helmet is like that.
    The LS2 Blaze beak mounts to the center of the helmet so there is less sacrifice able cover.

27. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    I'm guessing we're talking about an adventure style helmet that has both a visor and face shield. My dual sport helmet doesn't have a face shield, but the visor is very handy for blocking sun, roosted mud/rocks or tree branches that are heading towards your face. A quick head nod is all it takes, so the visor on an off road helmet is very functional. For street, I would think it's mostly a sun blocking issue, which we all know is very important. A riding friend uses a Shoei X2 on his Vstrom and he claims the visor doesn't add turbulence or wind noise at normal highway speeds and I'm pretty sure his windshield is stock. For the street, I can't think of many situations where the visor would save you from impact or major vision blocking issues other than sun and that happens all the time, so it may be worth looking into. It's much safer than using your left hand as a visor and how many have had to do that, knowing it's bad.....I have.
    i'm kinda thinking that the beak/peak/visor/whutever, could also be called a hook when encountering tree branches - although i'm confident that they are designed to shear off before your head does ?????
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

07-05-21
    The peak is usually just held on with plastic twist clips. They break off pretty easily when needed, but are sturdy enough for general handling of the helmet when off the head.

01-22-21
    I came across this last night and thought it gave some good tips for evaluation adventure helmets. Plus for the adventure guys out there it's pretty entertaining to see some of the crazy trials/tracks he and his buddies get themselves into. Like Itchy Boots, he's been trying to put out short videos on a fairly regular basis, some day riding, some adventure trips and some maintenance stuff. Maybe you'll find them interesting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SkYjbCbak
    its looking really great.