Rab Fulcrum GTX Gore Tex gloves - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

10-11-22
    I bought these climbing gloves at a mountaineering store. They are described as winter climbing gloves 5 out of 10 for warmth. For me with heated grips they will keep my hands warm enough except maybe for around 32 degrees. Leather fingers and palms with some knuckle protection (not leather just tough cloth with pads underneath) and of course completely waterproof with gauntlets that are long enough to transition to rain gear. (“as advertised” since Gore Tex but I haven’t seen any rain yet). I guess they are built for holding ski poles and wearing goggles because they are reinforced perfectly for handlebars and equipped with suede for wiping our visors. For me they are extremely comfortable and well built so I am very happy with them and my experience with Gore Tex products has always been great.
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    But what crash protection do they offer on a motorcycle?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

5. Likes Daboo liked this post

10-11-22
    Do you like gloves with metal rivets all around? These are not them. Just your typical mostly leather riding gloves. I always ride in full leathers and they are good enough for me. But your expected crashes may vary. Lol
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    None of my Motorcycle gloves have metal rivets in them, so not sure about your point?

As well as keep your hands warm & dry, crash protection should be high on the list of priorities as they are the first thing to go down in any accident - whether its a slow speed off, or a higher speed low side.

I'd not add these as a review as 'Bike Gloves' as they're not dedicated Biking Apparel.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

9. Likes BoxerBits liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    Difficult to say from your description but the sound a little like the BMW Dry Gloves :-

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/gs-dry-gloves/

Bit pricey at full retail price but at a sale price, they are to my mind, good value for a UK Autumn/Winter glove.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Winter gloves are a mixed bag to me. On one hand, I want my hands to be warm. On the other hand, I also figure that winter riding is probably the season with the most probability for taking a fall and sliding on the ground. So why is it my summer motorcycle gloves have better protection than my winter motorcycle gloves? If you look at my Gerbing T5 heated gloves, there's only small pads of something...foam?...over the knuckle area. Otherwise, it is just the leather to protect the hands.

Looking at these gloves the OP recommended, they aren't much different for protection than the Gerbing T5 gloves.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

12. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

10-11-22
    Those are some good points. I guess I too have been conditioned to cold weather and rain gloves being not as protective as summer gloves. I don’t mind if someone wants to deli this review but I sure like these gloves better than any rain gloves on display at the $1,000,000 BMW motorcycle dealer.
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    Chris, any chance you could add a link so that others could decide for themselves?

Thanks.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It looks like these are the gloves. https://rab.equipment/uk/fulcrum-gtx-glove

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qah-59_pic_bst.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	374737

Description

Made with GORE-TEX Grip waterproof technology, the durable stretch outer and high pre-curve ensure excellent tool handling on more technical routes. The Fulcrum GTX Glove features a mapped 3D construction for high dexterity and suppleness, including PrimaLoft® Gold insulation and a PrimaLoft® Grip Control palm.
    Knuckle reinforcement, a leather palm and nosewipe, and leather reinforcement in key wear areas make the Fulcrum GTX Glove a lightweight and dextrous winter climbing glove.
    Now take a look at the Gerbing T5 heated glove below. There's only an extra layer of accordion style leather across the knuckle area with some small foam? pads on the back of the fingers. That's not much protection. And the palm area seems to have a layer of artificial leather that is wearing through on mine. Considering that the winter riding is far more hazardous than the summer with wet leaves, mud, oil, etc. on the road, you would think there would be an emphasis on impact and slide protection on winter gloves. As I think about it, the Gerbing T5 gloves may be advertised as "motorcycle" gloves, but they would be better suited to snowmobiling.

Name:	t5-hybrid.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	374735

In comparison, take a look at the Cortech Scarab 2.0 winter glove. There is some heavy-duty protection on the palm area for a slide, and on the knuckle and finger areas. I just wish they were a bit warmer. (I suppose I should just take the Subaru Outback when it gets that cold. )

Name:	8352-0205-03.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	374733

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

10-11-22
    I bought these gloves specifically for occasional drizzle or rain. My other BMW gloves are plenty warm enough for my riding conditions. I should have made that more clear but I think this thread has made some good points on the protection trade offs on different gloves for different riding conditions. I am going to keep my eyes open for some rain gloves with better protection or just put clunky rain covers on my other leather gloves. But the comfort from these Rab gloves will definitely make them my go to gloves for inclement mountain biking and camping.
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

09-29-22
    My bad weather gloves, are Paragliding gloves, got plenty of bash and skid protection, can be used in the summer or winter, it can get cold in a cloud.

09-19-22
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Like protection on the back, as @Daboo says winter and rain is a tricky time to ride. A couple of comments, when I’ve been on long rides in cold rain hardest part is pulling gloves off of damp hands and the liner turns inside out. Well that isn’t such a big deal but putting them back on is! Getting gas when it is rtF and raining is no fun - been there. Hand guards help with the wind blast to the hand particularly at interstate speeds. Not like Hippo Hands but not a direct blast.

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Rab make some very highly regarded outdoor clothing but my concern would primarily be abrasion resistance. Can't speak for the US but in Europe there is pretty extensive tests that gloves have to go through to get CE motorcycle approval but only in France (as far as I'm aware) it's a legal requirement to wear CE approved gloves whilst riding a motorcycle.

Spada Enforcer for me in winter. I like the fit, warm enough, CE approved and have a nice rubber wiper blade on the left thumb to clear your visor in wet conditions.

For anybody interested link to what a glove has to go through to get CE approval.

https://mag.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/adv...ngs-explained/

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
    .......A couple of comments, when I’ve been on long rides in cold rain hardest part is pulling gloves off of damp hands and the liner turns inside out. Well that isn’t such a big deal but putting them back on is! .........
    I have a damaged little finger on my right hand.

I can't physical push this finger into a glove that the lining has been turned inside out. I carry a dowel with a domed end to push the lining back into place.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride