Mounting a Valentine Radar Detector on S1000RR - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-01-10
    Has anyone mounted a Valentine Radar Detector on S1000RR? Any pictures or advice?

I am ok with running a wire to the battery but I want to figure out the best place to locate the V1 where I can see the front/back arrows.

Anyone find any clean looking mounts that don't look cheesy? I want a clean - almost stock look. The bike is too pretty for ugly contraptions hanging from it.

I thought I saw a post touching on this yesterday but I can't find it now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

06-19-10
    Quote Originally Posted by aladin View Post
    Has anyone mounted a Valentine Radar Detector on S1000RR? Any pictures or advice?

I am ok with running a wire to the battery but I want to figure out the best place to locate the V1 where I can see the front/back arrows.

Anyone find any clean looking mounts that don't look cheesy? I want a clean - almost stock look. The bike is too pretty for ugly contraptions hanging from it.

I thought I saw a post touching on this yesterday but I can't find it now.
    Assuming I can get it, I''m looking into perching my X50 on top of the small factory tank bag that sits up near the front of the tank.

- Mark

Real Name
    Adam Arcane
    08-05-10
    Buy the small BMW tank bag, run a connection from the battery, buy the remote audio adaptor, place speakers in your helmet and you're good to go. An audio signal is far quicker and safer than looking down at the V1. The ear is quicker than the eye. Don't forget to disconnect the V1 when you park the bike. This method has been fail safe for me for 15 years. I don't leave home without it. The detectors in all my cages also warm me audibly.
    "Hell is empty. All the devils are here."
    Shakespeare 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

06-19-10
    You do generally need to supplement the RD alert system as you can't hear the RD in the noisy cockpit environment and the lights are too weak to get your attention.

There are lots of options - I went with the Marc Parnes visual LED alerter which I'll mount on the corner of the screen or some such place that is in my field of view. (I was going to go HARD, but they've changed the design from watch batteries to a AAA external battery pack velcro'ed externally to the helmet which is clunky as hell.)

http://marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm

I'd prefer to go audio alert, but I've tried all sorts of systems and none work very well and are comfortable. And unless you really get into fancy bluetooth and wireless systems, you have an earphone wire which is a PITA. And I'm starting to suffer significant hearing loss, so I can't afford to have anything that might compromise the noise attenuation of earplugs. The MP system is self-contained, robust, and single wire (it is powered from the audio signal in the headphone jack of the RD).

The V1 is always a bit of a pain for such systems because you have to buy the remote gizmo in addition. One reason I went with the X50.

- Mark

09-01-10
    I just installed the tank bag but I don't see an easy way to install the V1 where it can still "see" the road ahead. I am thinking of using heavy duty velcro on the lid but it may not be stiff enough to make sure that the two strips stick together fully. On my KTM 990 I use velcro with no problems to hold the V1 but it attaches to a firm steel plate.

I know some people put radar detectors inside tank bags but I thought that sharply reduces range.

On my K12S, I bought a little plate from Pirate that mounts above the brake resevior but there is not enough room between the screen and resevoir on the S1000RR to make that work.

FYI, I use the Valentine remote audio adapter to hear the warnings in my helmet.

Any one else make this happen yet on an S1000RR with a V1 (or any other detector for that matter?)
    Last edited by aladin; 03-01-10 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo

06-19-10
    Quote Originally Posted by aladin View Post
    I just installed the tank bag but I don't see an easy way to install the V1 where it can still "see" the road ahead.
    For radar, you don't need a completely open view ahead, just one reasonably free of solid metallic objects. For laser, you do need a view that won't block light (laser is light), but laser detection really isn't practical to start with. Radar detectors work fine inside tank bags or with plastic such as fairings and plexiglass between them and the radar.

Even with some metallic interference, the range reduction may be minor and/or acceptable. I think as long as you get the detector above the headlight reflectors, it should work fairly well. I don't have my S1000RR (or my tank bag for that matter) yet, but I think mounting it in the top of the tank bag should give it plenty of "view".

I ride with a guy who has been running a V1 for 10+ years buried in his tankbag. I follow him and it seems to work quite well with warning us for anything but instant on, and with instant on, your goose is generally cooked no matter what you're doing.

- Mark

Real Name
    Jake Brier
    12-09-15
    I had the same question, Aladin. I was also hoping for something more elegant and finished like the BlendMount I have in my 328. But so far everything I've seen has been erector set ugly with what looks like women's hair ties. Where's my engineered James Bond level stuff to match my 2016 S1000RR and Skully Helmet? (God willing!)
    2016 BMW S1000RR
    Fully murdered out with carbon fiber to come!