Spacer Bushing between swingarm and frame? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

06-17-19
    So I am swapping out my front sprocket and followed the service manual (and other misc posts on this forum, thank you!) and found it very easy and pretty straightforward.. I get it all buttoned up and start tightening the rear wheel down and i notice right underneath the motor theres a small bushing sitting there..obviously fell from wherever it was. I have taken everything back apart and cant tell if it goes into the frame hole (inside the frame between the frame and swingarm facing the motor) or just right in front of the sprocket, between the sprocket and swing arm facing the frame? Looking at the fiche you cant tell... the fiche page is http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=07012015 and its #3.

Can one of you guys just take a quick peek at your bike and let me know where this stupid little spacer is?

Cheers!
    Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Pascal
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 G450X
    Quote Originally Posted by hypnofonic View Post
    So I am swapping out my front sprocket and followed the service manual (and other misc posts on this forum, thank you!) and found it very easy and pretty straightforward.. I get it all buttoned up and start tightening the rear wheel down and i notice right underneath the motor theres a small bushing sitting there..obviously fell from wherever it was. I have taken everything back apart and cant tell if it goes into the frame hole (inside the frame between the frame and swingarm facing the motor) or just right in front of the sprocket, between the sprocket and swing arm facing the frame? Looking at the fiche you cant tell... the fiche page is http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=07012015 and its #3.

Hello Andy,
    The bushing is located just right in front of the sprocket, between the sprocket and swing arm facing the frame.
    Here this bushing #4 at the end, on picture you don't see the axle :
    http://www.bmwetk.info/parts-catalog...554/23/23_1079

Can one of you guys just take a quick peek at your bike and let me know where this stupid little spacer is?

Cheers!
    Andy
    Hello Andy
    This bushing is located just right in front of the sprocket, between the sprocket and swing arm facing the frame.
    Here you see the two bushing ( same right and left side) # 4 at the end, on the picture the axle is not present.

Normally the right bushing stay in place in the engine,
    but he wears with time, I replaced once the right side.

4. Thanks hypnofonic thanked for this post

06-17-19
    Thank you Pascal! Now I can put the damn thing back together!

Cheers!!
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by bello650 View Post
    Hello Andy
    This bushing is located just right in front of the sprocket, between the sprocket and swing arm facing the frame.
    Here you see the two bushing ( same right and left side) # 4 at the end, on the picture the axle is not present.

Normally the right bushing stay in place in the engine,
    but he wears with time, I replaced once the right side.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Campbell
    10-04-23
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    G'day Andy,

I am a bit unclear as to which part you are referring to, however it can only be one of two.

1. #03 33 17 7 711 334 SPACER BUSH - this is about 40 - 42mm in diameter with a o-ring groove around the circumference and performs the dual function of sealing the inner side of the LH swing arm bearing and spacing the swing arm from the frame. This part fits into the frame.

It is item #3 in your link http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=07012015

2. It is the small seal about 18mm in diameter (looks like a valve stem seal on steroids), only available as part of kit #04 11 11 7 715 453 SET: SEAL KIT, OUTPUT SHAFT/SWING ARM

There are two of these and they fit into the outer ends of the output shaft to prevent dirt entering between the swing arm pivot bolt and the hollow output shaft.

#4 shown in Pascals link http://www.bmwetk.info/parts-catalog...554/23/23_1079

and the Max BMW fisch here http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...1&rnd=07012015

Campbell

Real Name
    Nicko
    10-27-15
    Does anyone have a spare one of these bushes? I'm a bit stuck as its missing for the Roadworthy I'm currently getting. I'm in victoria, australia

06-17-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    G'day Andy,

I am a bit unclear as to which part you are referring to, however it can only be one of two.

1. #03 33 17 7 711 334 SPACER BUSH - this is about 40 - 42mm in diameter with a o-ring groove around the circumference and performs the dual function of sealing the inner side of the LH swing arm bearing and spacing the swing arm from the frame. This part fits into the frame.

It is item #3 in your link http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=07012015

2. It is the small seal about 18mm in diameter (looks like a valve stem seal on steroids), only available as part of kit #04 11 11 7 715 453 SET: SEAL KIT, OUTPUT SHAFT/SWING ARM

There are two of these and they fit into the outer ends of the output shaft to prevent dirt entering between the swing arm pivot bolt and the hollow output shaft.

#4 shown in Pascals link http://www.bmwetk.info/parts-catalog...554/23/23_1079

and the Max BMW fisch here http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...1&rnd=07012015

Campbell
    Hey Campbell, thanks for clarifying it! its the #2 18mm seal.. it had fallen off when I had taken out the output shaft .. Here is a pic, I've circled the seal in yellow..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sprocket bushing.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	160650

Thanks for all your help!

10. Thanks Allroad thanked for this post

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    As Campbell said above this pair of seals is hard to come by and is only sold by BMW in a complete set with the outer case output shaft bearing seals and swing arm seals. I spray the back side of mine with red Permatex gasket spray and tap it in.

When you grease the pivot shaft from both ends on the bike by removing the 6mm end cap screws. just go get a Metric pair of matching zerk fittings and temporarily install them to grease it in place. it will push the old grease out until you see clean grease coming out on either side. Don't neglect to do this. The bike in the picture looks very clean, almost new? Get that thing dirty why don't yaa. LOL.

Hey hypnofonic,

I lived up in Stockton near the 99 freeway off of "Wilson Way" for about 8 years before I moved down here. This was back in the mid to late 80s I was real close to Jorgy's cycle. Rode and built stuff for Quad Dynamics back then. I used to ride a lot on the diverting canal there in Stockton that passed under all the 99 off ramp turn offs going way south of Cherokee lane and went all the way up to Stockton Steel and beyond into Lodi along the railroad bed west of the 99 freeway. \

I flat track raced quads and also raced the TTs and rough scrambles on quads back in the late 80's at the "Lodi Cycle bowl". I loved that Blue groove. I used to ride up at Shads, West Point, Mokelumne Hill area South east of you and out in Rio Vista too.west of Lodi. I cut my teeth trail riding on what is now Carnegie Cycle Park on a mini bike back in '67' '68.
    We used to go shooting with my Dad there nearly every weekend when I was in grade school. We shot into the rail car service mound along the creek that runs up behind the old brick works foundation slab of the old Carnegie brick factory. It still has the big old peppercorn tree growing out of the middle of that slab I believe today. Back then there wasn't even a fence along the road at Carnegie.
    I miss the hills south east of you got some good riding up there. If you haven't been up there you need to check it out.

Real Name
    Campbell
    10-04-23
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Quote Originally Posted by hypnofonic View Post
    Hey Campbell, thanks for clarifying it! its the #2 18mm seal.. it had fallen off when I had taken out the output shaft .. Here is a pic, I've circled the seal in yellow..

Name:	sprocket bushing.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	160650

Thanks for all your help!
    No problem, had that fall out on me the first time.....bloody hell that bike is clean.

06-17-19
    Hey Tim, I know some of the areas you speak of. I just went to Lodi for the "night before the sacramento mile" flat track race. My kids loved it, they were ready to ride their XR50 after that! haha I grew up in south sac and ran around the Elk Grove area alot. Ive ridden all up in amador but mostly street. I am somewhat new to the dirt bike world.

And that is not my bike! that was a pic I found on the net! mine is not that clean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tims1572 View Post
    As Campbell said above this pair of seals is hard to come by and is only sold by BMW in a complete set with the outer case output shaft bearing seals and swing arm seals. I spray the back side of mine with red Permatex gasket spray and tap it in.

When you grease the pivot shaft from both ends on the bike by removing the 6mm end cap screws. just go get a Metric pair of matching zerk fittings and temporarily install them to grease it in place. it will push the old grease out until you see clean grease coming out on either side. Don't neglect to do this. The bike in the picture looks very clean, almost new? Get that thing dirty why don't yaa. LOL.

Hey hypnofonic,

I lived up in Stockton near the 99 freeway off of "Wilson Way" for about 8 years before I moved down here. This was back in the mid to late 80s I was real close to Jorgy's cycle. Rode and built stuff for Quad Dynamics back then. I used to ride a lot on the diverting canal there in Stockton that passed under all the 99 off ramp turn offs going way south of Cherokee lane and went all the way up to Stockton Steel and beyond into Lodi along the railroad bed west of the 99 freeway. \

I flat track raced quads and also raced the TTs and rough scrambles on quads back in the late 80's at the "Lodi Cycle bowl". I loved that Blue groove. I used to ride up at Shads, West Point, Mokelumne Hill area South east of you and out in Rio Vista too.west of Lodi. I cut my teeth trail riding on what is now Carnegie Cycle Park on a mini bike back in '67' '68.
    We used to go shooting with my Dad there nearly every weekend when I was in grade school. We shot into the rail car service mound along the creek that runs up behind the old brick works foundation slab of the old Carnegie brick factory. It still has the big old peppercorn tree growing out of the middle of that slab I believe today. Back then there wasn't even a fence along the road at Carnegie.
    I miss the hills south east of you got some good riding up there. If you haven't been up there you need to check it out.

06-17-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    No problem, had that fall out on me the first time.....bloody hell that bike is clean.
    hahaha not my bike! but ofcourse I found the pic AFTER i posted my question and you guys replied. haha thanks again !!

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Elk Grove Huh. Lodi area.
    You old enough to remember a Flat black tubbed 426 Hemi '70 Dodge Challenger back in 82 to 86 era. It was mine. Well known back then. I used to do a lot of street racing up your way and in North Lodi. Won a lot of cash back then. Only problem was everybody there wanted to beat that Hemi Challenger. They didn't want to bother racing each other any more if I showed up. They just stood in line to try to beat the Hemi car.

I usually took my Money and went home. The Hemi was built by Rick, Dave and father George Santos on Washington Avenue in San Leandro. At S&S Automotive. Rick Santos was the NHRA Top Alcohol world champion 3 years in a row back in like 2001 to 2003 I believe. First one the championship in the family owned S&S dragster and then driving for Norm Grimes and the Oakwood Homes sponsored entry Hemi powered dragster.

The Challenger was fast for the time and It was street legal. Had a 4 link, narrowed Dana 60 and a Full cage.

Here's what I drive around here nowadays. Full 4130 moly tubed '66 Plymouth Belvedere. It has a 543" Indy Wedge on pump gas and is a street car. It runs OK for a street car. LOL !

Still a Mopar guy.

OK sorry for getting off track and off topic.

Back to getting the bike back together.

What gearing are you running for sprockets? 13 or 14 on the front. I ran 13 /48 with the BMW wide ratio 5 speed. I have a 5 spd. close ratio TC Husky motor in my G450 right now and run 14 /48 and it still rides 4th and 5th gear wheelies. Tops out about 92 mph. But my current 5th gear ratio is like you pegging it in your 4th gear. So you have more top end with the wide ratio gearbox for sure. With my stock motor and 13/48 gearing 1st gear was nearly useless but it didn't have a big jump to 2nd and 3rd either. So what are you running?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0877.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	160658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0881.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	160666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0856.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	160674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0858.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	160682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0853.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	160690  

Name:	SAM_0854.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	160698  

06-17-19
    You old enough to remember a Flat black tubbed 426 Hemi '70 Dodge Challenger back in 82 to 86 era. It was mine. Well known back then. I used to do a lot of street racing up your way and in North Lodi. Won a lot of cash back then. Only problem was everybody there wanted to beat that Hemi Challenger. They didn't want to bother racing each other any more if I showed up. They just stood in line to try to beat the Hemi car.

I usually took my Money and went home. The Hemi was built by Rick, Dave and father George Santos on Washington Avenue in San Leandro. At S&S Automotive. Rick Santos was the NHRA Top Alcohol world champion 3 years in a row back in like 2001 to 2003 I believe. First one the championship in the family owned S&S dragster and then driving for Norm Grimes and the Oakwood Homes sponsored entry Hemi powered dragster.

The Challenger was fast for the time and It was street legal. Had a 4 link, narrowed Dana 60 and a Full cage.

Here's what I drive around here nowadays. Full 4130 moly tubed '66 Plymouth Belvedere. It has a 543" Indy Wedge on pump gas and is a street car. It runs OK for a street car. LOL !

Still a Mopar guy.

What gearing are you running for sprockets? 13 or 14 on the front. I ran 13 /48 with the BMW wide ratio 5 speed. I have a 5 spd. close ratio TC Husky motor in my G450 right now and run 14 /48 and it still rides 4th and 5th gear wheelies. Tops out about 92 mph. But my current 5th gear ratio is like you pegging it in your 4th gear. So you have more top end with the wide ratio gearbox for sure. With my stock motor and 13/48 gearing 1st gear was nearly useless but it didn't have a big jump to 2nd and 3rd either. So what are you running?
    I bought the bike and the PO was running 13/48.. I rode in the NV desert this last weekend (bike was awesome) and didnt need that gearing, so I went back to the 15/48 for more top end and fuel savings. I rode with a 1 gal jug for extra fuel (was with a ton of other bikes who had big tanks) in my backpack and that kind of sucked.. thats the only bitch I have about this bike though, is fuel capacity... Experienced Sand Mountain (have never ridden in that kind of sand before) and it was insane! I got the hang of it fairly quick but it was a completely different world for me at first!

06-17-19

Still a Mopar guy.

And I was too young back then, I was still taking the bus to school! Didnt know any drag racers at all.. hahaha

11-19-21
    I pulled my shaft out recently and I cant see that seal anywhere.
    I do have it on the right hand side just not the sprocket side.
    I do have this though that fell out and fits nicely inside the sprocket.
    is it the same thing or am I missing something?

Name:	SLeeve.JPG 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	211049

Name:	Sprocket.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	211057

19. Thanks Allroad thanked for this post

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Quote Originally Posted by Doowrag View Post
    I pulled my shaft out recently and I cant see that seal anywhere.
    I do have it on the right hand side just not the sprocket side.
    I do have this though that fell out and fits nicely inside the sprocket.
    is it the same thing or am I missing something?

Name:	SLeeve.JPG 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	211049

Name:	Sprocket.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	211057
    That's exactly where it goes Doowrag.

If its still good use a shot of Permatex gasket spray adhesive or a little Loctite RC/609 retaining compound. Its for cylindrical parts bonding such as sleeves and bushings and so on.

It works well for seals as well and it will then stay put. Clean it well first.

If you regularly Grease the pivot shaft and those seals aren't bonded in with something, the grease and crud will push them out from the grease guns pressure alone rather than the dirty grease going past the seals face itself. The seal once installed is designed more to keep moisture from getting in. However greasing the pivot shaft from the ends can easily push them out if the grease you use is real heavy thick grease or you pressure it to hard so keep an eye on them once they are in place. There's really not much there to hold them in, they will stay in place though if they are bonded.

Stupidly the new replacement seals are only available from BMW as a set which happens to include the out put countershafts case seal and a few others you may not need at this time also.

You may be able to match it up and source a couple of them alone at a bearing supply house. You may go back into the Forum and find the dimensions and number for that seal, or physically match it up.

There is an o ring also on the stepped shoulder of the aluminum disc spacer left of the swing arm as well. It helps seal the backside of the frames swing arm pivot bearing. Is that still intact? If its not in good shape replace it.

11-19-21
    Thanks Tim,
    yeah i got the o-ring and disc spacer sorted. it was still in good nik so i didnt bother replacing it.
    as for the other seal i'll keep an eye on it for now as i have put it all back together already and filled it up with grease.
    i notice a lot of sideways play in the swingarm which is a suprise, i would have thought a spacer should go in there somwhere but i guess not.
    ive pushed the swingarm as far left as it would go to prevent it hitting the front sprocket and also the rear brake master cylinder on compression which has been an issue in the past.

22. Likes Tims1572 liked this post