What do you do for a living? - BMW S1000RR Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 749
  1. #101
    kismetcapitan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Toby
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    08-07-15
    Posts
    3,680 / 0 / 63 / 339
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    by reading my posts, what would you all guess I did for a living??
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #102
    Dunny's Avatar
    Location
    UK
    Joined
    May 2006
    Online
    12-04-15
    Posts
    6,129 / 15 / 199 / 1436
    made noodles ?
     

  4. #103

    Location
    Moon, VA.
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    09-05-14
    Posts
    634 / 0 / 0 / 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    by reading my posts, what would you all guess I did for a living??
    you sell bibles?
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #104
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA. GAJ is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    GAJ's Avatar
    Points: 14,417, Level: 82

    Real Name
    Geoff
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA.
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    02-11-18
    Posts
    1,204 / 0 / 52 / 195
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Judging by those pics a few weeks back, you are OBVIOUSLY a fashion model.

    I run a family owned company of 7 restaurants.

    Not highly recommended for your sanity, hence the motorcycles.
    GAJ 

  7. #105
    Mike in Ohio's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sunny
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio, d'Etas Unis
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    12-24-14
    Posts
    1,545 / 1 / 280 / 213
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    by reading my posts, what would you all guess I did for a living??
    I'm just revisiting this thread now. I'm most envious of the guy who hangs out of helicopters.

    I'm scratching my head about other posts you've made, and I think you are either some kind of a medical professional, or you are in the service. I do know that you like to drive fast and therefore my guess is you are in a very fast paced profession, whatever it is that you do.

    Maybe you're a trust fund kid?
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

  8. #106

    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    06-01-08
    Posts
    107 / 0 / 0 / 3
    Hey Herleman!

    I am a cancer survivor, nearly 12 years now, so please accept my gratitude for your work in the cancer hospital. I was VERY lucky to have caught mine early, especially given the fact that I was younger than the average breast cancer patient (36) & had no history of cancer in my family. I'm sincerely sorry for the loss of your wife & best friend. I cannot imagine how painful that is. Please know though that for the lucky ones that survive, not one of us doesn't appreciate how much people like you make that possible.

    I must echo several of the other writers in the idea that doing what makes us happy NOW is more important than waiting for another day! It's the main reason I chose at a very young age to remain blissfully child-free for the rest of my life! I married a man who at 11 years younger than me is incredibly tolerant of a wife who runs around like a kid half her age & is into all manner of hobbies!

    I was a paramedic/firefighter & nurse for many, many years, but retired & went into law enforcement. I'm off to police school in August, which is so typical of me to want to learn something new & exciting all the time! My goal is to be hired into the motorcycle patrol division! (I won't get to ride my 800, but BMW happens to make a fine police bike!) Maybe by the time that happens, the division will be open-minded enough to dump the Harley's & go with a REAL motorcycle!

    My second source of income is teaching Concealed Handgun License classes, & from that I have a third income in which I teach basic shooting skills. I scuba dive for fun, & am hopeful that having that skill will put me on the rescue dive team at the Sheriff's Dept. I work for. My "girly" type friends are used to my "boy games & jobs", & my guy friends think of me as one of them....so I guess I'm pretty lucky all way 'round! Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a genuinely happy person, so I feel very blessed.

    The 800 was that toy I didn't deny myself, but it's just another in a long line of more toys to come! My only regret is the knowlege I won't live to be a couple hundred years so that there'll be time for me to do everything I want to do!

    Stay safe my friends!

  9. #107
    Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    kismetcapitan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Toby
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    08-07-15
    Posts
    3,680 / 0 / 63 / 339
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I'm a....

















































    schoolteacher


    (most education in Korea happens at night, at for-profit schools. The money is insane for an experienced, seasoned teacher )
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

  10. #108
    Mike in Ohio's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sunny
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio, d'Etas Unis
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    12-24-14
    Posts
    1,545 / 1 / 280 / 213
    A school teacher somehow makes sense. And I admire your capitalist spirit.
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

  11. #109

    Location
    gone
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Online
    09-13-10
    Posts
    787 / 0 / 4 / 7
    Glad to see my old thread is still going

  12. #110
    steve n rose's Avatar
    Points: 69,539, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Steve
    Location
    Morwell, Vic
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Online
    2 Hours Ago
    Posts
    12,338 / 8 / 151 / 893
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Barance View Post
    Glad to see my old thread is still going
    I noticed there were a few of us new site members hanging around and this thread had dropped off the screen and right from the start it's been one of the best threads here.

    We're a diverse bunch, but Kismetcaptain- a school teacher

    I was thinking more along the line of "Career Hoon"


    Ps: Rob, any way of keeping this thread on the screen?????
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless 

  13. #111
    Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    kismetcapitan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Toby
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    08-07-15
    Posts
    3,680 / 0 / 63 / 339
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    that's why I wear a tinted visor while indulging in my hooligan activities - don't want my impressionable kids to see my antisocial antics
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

  14. #112
    batamali's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sasha
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia.
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Online
    04-15-10
    Posts
    2,474 / 0 / 101 / 87
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I'm a....schoolteacher
    (most education in Korea happens at night, at for-profit schools. The money is insane for an experienced, seasoned teacher )
    But in daylight you're a stunt man, right? At least a doubler to Spiderman?
    ...Batamali... 

  15. #113
    Meissner100's Avatar
    Location
    NYC
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Online
    06-24-10
    Posts
    37 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Actually, I just report it. I'm a broadcast journalist working a job that gets me up too early in the morning, but makes up for it by giving me copious amounts of frustration for free! I used to be in the Army, so early mornings and a bit of frustation is easy to swallow- and far fewer misanthropes trying to kill me.
    -Meissner
    2007 F800S
    Lahar "Panzer" Grey
     

  16. #114

    Location
    Durham, UK
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    12-13-10
    Posts
    102 / 0 / 0 / 0
    I've been "unemployed" for an entire year now, and have descended into the very bottom of a massive overdraft. Otherwise I do this, that is, write games. It earns about £100/month profit. Bit shite really. Have to find some work soon or I'll have to sell me bike or get kicked out of the flat.

    If anyone's looking for a programmer type in the South West of England, here's my CV.

    Cas
    puppygames.net - for when you're not riding 

  17. #115
    greyerbeard's Avatar
    Location
    Cheltenham, Gloucestershi
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Online
    11-09-15
    Posts
    1,192 / 0 / 12 / 31
    Just realised I never 'did' this thread, so...

    Started off in Royal Air Force as a communications operator (even used Morse code, ye Gods!). Worked in UK, Singapore, Bahrain and Masirah (Oman).

    Then GCHQ and sometimes the Foreign Office in various places in UK and worldwide, in electronic communications.

    Early retirement (the job ceased to exist) in 2001. Worked at the local University administering a teacher training course until 2005.

    Now working unpaid twice a week at the local Sue Ryder Hospice, in the fundraising office;
    and at least once a week with the Cotswold Voluntary Wardens, out on the land maintaining footpaths, hedges, drystone walls, stiles, gates, clearing scrub, etc. etc.

    Somewhere in there got qualified as an Advanced Riding Instructor and hopefully helped to keep a lot of motorcyclists alive on our roads.

    Who'd have thought a skinny little kid from a Wiltshire council estate would have had a good life travelling the world accumulating wonderful experiences, while getting paid for it!
    Greyerbeard

    Dullville
    Where are my chicken strips then?
     

  18. #116

    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Online
    11-01-08
    Posts
    213 / 0 / 0 / 2
    Don't ban me.....

    I'm a cop and a real hard ass one to

  19. #117
    gapek's Avatar
    Location
    \
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Online
    06-23-15
    Posts
    81 / 0 / 1 / 6
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    I work in IT, Developer Team Manager in a medium size company in Krakow. I'm responsible for planning, producing, deploying and maintaining software project for banks and insurance companies

  20. #118
    Zelhem, Netherlands de100kb is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global
    de100kb's Avatar
    Points: 58,134, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Karim
    Location
    Zelhem, Netherlands
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Online
    08-28-18
    Posts
    4,863 / 26 / 573 / -2147483132
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    As suggested I've made this thread an 'Important thread' so it will stay on top. Rob: if you don't want it you can change it back.

    princec: I have been there and hated it. Hope you will find a new resource for income soon

  21. #119
    Goolam's Avatar
    Points: 16,508, Level: 88

    Real Name
    Goolam
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape,
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Online
    01-29-20
    Posts
    1,244 / 0 / 108 / 58
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    that's why I wear a tinted visor while indulging in my hooligan activities - don't want my impressionable kids to see my antisocial antics
    What subjects do you teach?
    Goolam
    "No longer on the Road" - ex Blue ST rider 

  22. #120
    SKID's Avatar
    Location
    Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, UK
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Online
    10-25-14
    Posts
    1,813 / 1 / 50 / 135
    I'm a Contract Manager working in the Commercial Fit-out industry in London and around the home counties.

    Specialising in:
    Suspended Ceilings
    Demountable Partitioning
    Dry Lining
    Raised Access Flooring
    Decoration
    Floor Coverings

    I've been in this game since '97 when I was a salesman who sold the materials I now put up.
    LINGERING LIKE A BAD SMELL WHILST SAT ON MY XL700VA - TRANS ALP  

  23. #121
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA. GAJ is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    GAJ's Avatar
    Points: 14,417, Level: 82

    Real Name
    Geoff
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA, USA.
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    02-11-18
    Posts
    1,204 / 0 / 52 / 195
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Ynsinuator, here's a memory I have from being in high school in Beglium (Int'l School of Brussels) 30+ years ago riding my first moto; a 50cc Honda.

    As my Dad was in international business we moved all over the world and though we were British, we had mostly recently lived in the States and, as luck would have it, were back the the US after our stint in Brussels.

    I was riding my 50cc on the promenade just outside Tervuren heading toward Brussels just past the Congo Museum when a black helicopter dropped out of the sky, and a bunch of you guys jumped out with submachine guns and started stopping all traffic and demanding ID cards! As required, I was carrying mine, but found that even......rrrrrrrrrrrrr......memorable.

    Is that still Standard Operating Procedure???

    Absolutely LOVED living in Belgium; great people.
    GAJ 

  24. #122

    Location
    Moon, VA.
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    09-05-14
    Posts
    634 / 0 / 0 / 3
    Quote Originally Posted by de100kb View Post
    As suggested I've made this thread an 'Important thread' so it will stay on top. Rob: if you don't want it you can change it back.
    Where I come from, we call that a "brownie nose".
     

  25. #123

    Location
    UK
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    11-29-14
    Posts
    79 / 0 / 2 / 3
    Never spotted this thread until just now !

    I'm an Air Traffic Controller and have worked at various places around the UK including Glasgow and Gatwick Airports. Started 28 years ago in Oceanic Control at Prestwick and currently work at the London Area Centre in Hampshire.

    So next time you're stuck in a departure lounge and they say "due to Air Traffic Control restrictions flight number #### is delayed ........" it's not my fault - OK ??? Most of the time that just means they screwed up their paper work or the catering and we get the blame !! Bitter.....paranoid.....me ?.....never !!!!

  26. #124
    Roadpizza's Avatar
    Points: 89,839, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Philip
    Location
    Cascade Locks, Oregon, US
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    07-06-20
    Posts
    14,737 / 37 / 2548 / 3082
    Relax CeebeeA, I respect what you do and have to depend on you...when I'm flying in row 39 b.
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBeeA View Post
    Never spotted this thread until just now !

    I'm an Air Traffic Controller and have worked at various places around the UK including Glasgow and Gatwick Airports. Started 28 years ago in Oceanic Control at Prestwick and currently work at the London Area Centre in Hampshire.

    So next time you're stuck in a departure lounge and they say "due to Air Traffic Control restrictions flight number #### is delayed ........" it's not my fault - OK ??? Most of the time that just means they screwed up their paper work or the catering and we get the blame !! Bitter.....paranoid.....me ?.....never !!!!
    Last edited by Roadpizza; 03-05-08 at 08:09 PM.
    BMW F800S…….

    There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies.... 

  27. #125

    Location
    gone
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Online
    09-13-10
    Posts
    787 / 0 / 4 / 7
    Well since I started the thread and havnt been here for about 6 months better update my details, left IT sales and am now a Serviced Delivery Manager/Client Relationship Manager for the same IT company I was at a couple of jobs ago..

  28. #126

    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    10-25-09
    Posts
    109 / 0 / 0 / 1
    Amazing thread.

    I'm another cancer survivor. Lymphoma 12 years ago. All good now [image of me touching my wooden head].

    I also 'hang out of helicopters' - or used to. I am an Intensive Care Paramedic and Rescue Crewman by training, but spent too much of my spare time going to university and now pretty much live there teaching emergency medicine. I have also just started an eCommerce business selling stuff to athletes and schools - only one product so far - the second one arrives in a couple of weeks. All are/will be my own designs.

    http://www.fleastuff.com.au

    In between spending time with my wonderful family, I ride my bike to go swimming, ride my bike to the track to go running and ride my bike to go riding on my bicycle. I also ride my bike for absolutely no other reason at all - which is the best reason.

    I have a daughter who is quite a little athlete - swimming and middle distance running (gets it from her mother) so I also spend a fair bit of time taking her (in the car I'm afraid) to training and meets. Including getting up at 4.30am most days.

    Keep going guys - great reading - a very diverse group and some very talented people here, all brought together through the love of the great god (note small 'g' so as not to blaspheme) 800.

  29. #127

    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Online
    11-01-08
    Posts
    213 / 0 / 0 / 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
    Ynsinuator, here's a memory I have from being in high school in Beglium (Int'l School of Brussels) 30+ years ago riding my first moto; a 50cc Honda.

    As my Dad was in international business we moved all over the world and though we were British, we had mostly recently lived in the States and, as luck would have it, were back the the US after our stint in Brussels.

    I was riding my 50cc on the promenade just outside Tervuren heading toward Brussels just past the Congo Museum when a black helicopter dropped out of the sky, and a bunch of you guys jumped out with submachine guns and started stopping all traffic and demanding ID cards! As required, I was carrying mine, but found that even......rrrrrrrrrrrrr......memorable.

    Is that still Standard Operating Procedure???

    Absolutely LOVED living in Belgium; great people.
    Pretty strange.......... "we" always had white heli's with a nice orange stripe on it (in those days anyway)

    Tervuren is the neighbourhood of our royal family so maybe there was something going on there?

    And i agree with you i like belgium 2

  30. #128

    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    06-01-08
    Posts
    107 / 0 / 0 / 3
    [QUOTE=Flea;135964]Amazing thread.

    I'm another cancer survivor. Lymphoma 12 years ago. All good now [image of me touching my wooden head].

    I also 'hang out of helicopters' - or used to. I am an Intensive Care Paramedic and Rescue Crewman by training, but spent too much of my spare time going to university and now pretty much live there teaching emergency medicine. I have also just started an eCommerce business selling stuff to athletes and schools - only one product so far - the second one arrives in a couple of weeks. All are/will be my own designs.

    Hi! Seems you & I have a couple things in common: we both kicked cancer square in the jewels, & we're both former paramedics! Although my time in a helicopter didn't involve hanging out of one! you're the man!

    On a serious note: so glad that you're well. I wonder if like me you met other folks going thru it at the same time you were. Did you know any of them that didn't make it? I had terrible survivors guilt for a long time. Now...I just try not to question it & relish the gift of anoher chance at life.

    Be safe!
    Corinne

  31. #129
    Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    kismetcapitan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Toby
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    08-07-15
    Posts
    3,680 / 0 / 63 / 339
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Goolam View Post
    What subjects do you teach?
    pretty much everything. English is obviously the high-demand subject here in Korea, but I also teach a lot of biology and life sciences, and having completed a music degree, I will teach music theory - but for some reason, I can't teach performance. It's almost as if my brain is unwilling to give up all the tricks I've learned over years and years of practice on the piano and the guitar. I also teach a lot of US and European history, but ironically, have little to no knowledge of Asian history. I do some tutoring in French and Latin, but I can barely speak Korean, which, seeing as I'm ethnically Korean, is also fairly ironic. I defend my shitty Korean by saying I'm American, my native tongue is English, it's my job to be a master of English, but after six years in country, that excuse is beginning to wear thin....

    But what really pays for the toys is college admissions counseling. It paid well in the States, but here in Korea, it's outright highway robbery. But I can't charge below market price as Koreans tie credibility and cost together, plus I've got BMW Finance payments to make
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

  32. #130

    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    10-25-09
    Posts
    109 / 0 / 0 / 1
    [QUOTE=shootergal;136139]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Amazing thread.

    I'm another cancer survivor. Lymphoma 12 years ago. All good now [image of me touching my wooden head].

    I also 'hang out of helicopters' - or used to. I am an Intensive Care Paramedic and Rescue Crewman by training, but spent too much of my spare time going to university and now pretty much live there teaching emergency medicine. I have also just started an eCommerce business selling stuff to athletes and schools - only one product so far - the second one arrives in a couple of weeks. All are/will be my own designs.

    Hi! Seems you & I have a couple things in common: we both kicked cancer square in the jewels, & we're both former paramedics! Although my time in a helicopter didn't involve hanging out of one! you're the man!

    On a serious note: so glad that you're well. I wonder if like me you met other folks going thru it at the same time you were. Did you know any of them that didn't make it? I had terrible survivors guilt for a long time. Now...I just try not to question it & relish the gift of anoher chance at life.

    Be safe!
    Corinne
    Thanks Corinne - that's three boxes to tick - medic/CA/this forum.

    Enough with the 'your the man'. I didn't mention that 'my jewels' used to 'shrink' a little at times when I was doing it.

    I guess I was a bit selfish in that I was more distressed about the other people around me that were sicker than I (metastases etc) and some of whom didn't make it that I tried not to get too close to people when I was having chemo. Although a bit hard to do. You try to be philosophical but when you see some really young people it makes it particularly hard. I guess, ultimately I have taken much the same approach you have.

    Take care, Flea

  33. #131

    Location
    Moon, VA.
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    09-05-14
    Posts
    634 / 0 / 0 / 3
    Quote Originally Posted by shootergal View Post

    I'm another cancer survivor. Lymphoma 12 years ago. All good now
    Corinne

    You go girl - just keep on trucking (meant biking)
     

  34. #132
    Goolam's Avatar
    Points: 16,508, Level: 88

    Real Name
    Goolam
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape,
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Online
    01-29-20
    Posts
    1,244 / 0 / 108 / 58
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    pretty much everything. English is obviously the high-demand subject here in Korea, but I also teach a lot of biology and life sciences, and having completed a music degree, I will teach music theory - but for some reason, I can't teach performance. It's almost as if my brain is unwilling to give up all the tricks I've learned over years and years of practice on the piano and the guitar. I also teach a lot of US and European history, but ironically, have little to no knowledge of Asian history. I do some tutoring in French and Latin, but I can barely speak Korean, which, seeing as I'm ethnically Korean, is also fairly ironic. I defend my shitty Korean by saying I'm American, my native tongue is English, it's my job to be a master of English, but after six years in country, that excuse is beginning to wear thin....

    But what really pays for the toys is college admissions counseling. It paid well in the States, but here in Korea, it's outright highway robbery. But I can't charge below market price as Koreans tie credibility and cost together, plus I've got BMW Finance payments to make
    Dont we all, don't we all
    Goolam
    "No longer on the Road" - ex Blue ST rider 

  35. #133

    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    06-01-08
    Posts
    107 / 0 / 0 / 3
    [quote=Flea;136166]
    Quote Originally Posted by shootergal View Post

    Thanks Corinne - that's three boxes to tick - medic/CA/this forum.

    Enough with the 'your the man'. I didn't mention that 'my jewels' used to 'shrink' a little at times when I was doing it.

    I guess I was a bit selfish in that I was more distressed about the other people around me that were sicker than I (metastases etc) and some of whom didn't make it that I tried not to get too close to people when I was having chemo. Although a bit hard to do. You try to be philosophical but when you see some really young people it makes it particularly hard. I guess, ultimately I have taken much the same approach you have.

    Take care, Flea
    Hey Flea...

    If I'd owned a pair of jewels, they surely would have shrunk! As it is, my metaphorically-speaking jewels completely shattered when I got the initial dx!!

    Yes..the very young victims are a bit much to handle. And if like me, your career as a paramedic didn't do much to help you get thru the emotional trauma of it all.

    The week I was in hospital for the mastectomy/reconstruction, I forced myself from my room to visit with the other patients on my floor. One side of me had a VERY young woman, about 21, who had a double mastectomy too late to save her. They as much told her it was no use at that point, but her family talked her into it. Another patient was a MAN! Yes..it's true that men get breast cancer. He was actually more embarrased by it all, rather than scared. Don't know why, but I respected his attitude!

    Besides the survivors guilt, the thing that really broke my heart was the number of women whose men walked out on them because of their illness. Everything from "can't live with a woman who only has one breast" to "this is all too much drama for me". Horrible! In my book, those weren't real men. But, when a woman is already down, kicking her twice over with a partner who walks out....well...nothing I could have said would have made them feel any better.

    But hey...that was then & this is now & I'M STILL HERE!!! And YOU'RE STILL HERE!!! And isn't it all just so wonderful? We're blessed Flea.

  36. #134
    Jason C's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Online
    10-04-16
    Posts
    1,600 / 0 / 402 / 101
    Motorcycle
    '07 1098S
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I'm an apprentice electronics engineer at a Neutron source.
    Last edited by Jason C; 09-28-16 at 05:51 AM.

  37. #135

    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    10-25-09
    Posts
    109 / 0 / 0 / 1
    [QUOTE=shootergal;136784]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post

    Hey Flea...

    If I'd owned a pair of jewels, they surely would have shrunk! As it is, my metaphorically-speaking jewels completely shattered when I got the initial dx!!

    Yes..the very young victims are a bit much to handle. And if like me, your career as a paramedic didn't do much to help you get thru the emotional trauma of it all.

    The week I was in hospital for the mastectomy/reconstruction, I forced myself from my room to visit with the other patients on my floor. One side of me had a VERY young woman, about 21, who had a double mastectomy too late to save her. They as much told her it was no use at that point, but her family talked her into it. Another patient was a MAN! Yes..it's true that men get breast cancer. He was actually more embarrased by it all, rather than scared. Don't know why, but I respected his attitude!

    Besides the survivors guilt, the thing that really broke my heart was the number of women whose men walked out on them because of their illness. Everything from "can't live with a woman who only has one breast" to "this is all too much drama for me". Horrible! In my book, those weren't real men. But, when a woman is already down, kicking her twice over with a partner who walks out....well...nothing I could have said would have made them feel any better.

    But hey...that was then & this is now & I'M STILL HERE!!! And YOU'RE STILL HERE!!! And isn't it all just so wonderful? We're blessed Flea.
    That's the spirit. You go Gal!!

  38. #136

    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Online
    06-25-10
    Posts
    57 / 0 / 0 / 1
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I.T. Security for a Health System

  39. #137
    Moto Madness's Avatar
    Location
    Westlake Village, CA
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    12-14-10
    Posts
    158 / 0 / 1 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '09 ZG1000 Concours
    I'll put in my 2 cents since I just found this blog. From of my recent postings, some of you may already know.

    Background in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering and how it applies to Manufacturing. We had a Space Shuttle launch last night and our product (in this case Printed Circuit Boards) were inside the camera system that's attached to the outside of the Shuttle to show debris (like the foam panels) coming loose!

    Besides working with NASA, our products also go into Medical devices, Datacom, Computers, even toys! Just about anything with electronics. We also have our product in the BMW 7 series for their Infrared Camera system. Very cool. Currently we are working with a major U.S. motorcycle manufacture (currently in development) as they too are interested in the Infrared camera market. Will only be time you will see a BMW touring bike having one as an option! Imagine riding at night and being able to see animals way ahead of you in the middle of the road viewed on your LCD/GPS screen!

    www.imageassoc.com


    If any of you are in Manufacturing and located in No. America, please let us know if we can assist sourcing high quality suppliers!
    Eyeballing the S1000RR... on wish list
    2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, ABS, Black; 156 HP
    2007 F800ST, ABS, Blue; SOLD to Safricianrider Aug '08 

  40. #138
    Mike in Ohio's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sunny
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio, d'Etas Unis
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    12-24-14
    Posts
    1,545 / 1 / 280 / 213
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynsinuator View Post
    Don't ban me.....

    I'm a cop and a real hard ass one to
    How hard ass? For example, if an F800ST blew by you exceeding the speed limit would you give him/her a speeding citation, or a just warning if they happen to be a member here.

    I'm noticing a trend -virtually everyone here has a job that requires a great deal of technical skill, minute detail work, keen observational power, the ability to make decisions quickly, an entrepreneurial and independent spirit, significant responsibility, and a whole dang lot of computer experience. We're in professions that provide a significant service, usually one where we get to assist other people a whole lot, and usually ones that take a whole lot of smarts, which is reflected in the quality of the writing of these posts. This is indeed a fascinating lot.

    he engineering marvel that is BMW seems to fit right into these characteristics, doesn't it. Which is why, to raise additional operating funds for the site, we should sell to BMW marketing people a summary of the demographics of this group.

    Because the other thing we all seem to have in common is the need for extra money to buy more stuff for and related to our bikes.
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

  41. #139
    Moto Madness's Avatar
    Location
    Westlake Village, CA
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    12-14-10
    Posts
    158 / 0 / 1 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '09 ZG1000 Concours
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynsinuator View Post
    Pretty strange.......... "we" always had white heli's with a nice orange stripe on it (in those days anyway)

    Tervuren is the neighbourhood of our royal family so maybe there was something going on there?

    And i agree with you i like belgium 2

    Our Highway Patrol in Southern Cal ride BMW's. Anytime I'm at our local BMW dealer and one is there waiting for his bike repair, I try to get to know them. YOU NEVER KNOW when one might stop me! Actually a nice group of guys (as most us bikers are). As for your career, God bless you guys for protecting the forces of evil!!! It's a job no money on earth would be enough for me to consider .... my hat's off to you!
    Eyeballing the S1000RR... on wish list
    2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, ABS, Black; 156 HP
    2007 F800ST, ABS, Blue; SOLD to Safricianrider Aug '08 

  42. #140

    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Online
    06-01-08
    Posts
    107 / 0 / 0 / 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Ohio View Post
    How hard ass? For example, if an F800ST blew by you exceeding the speed limit would you give him/her a speeding citation, or a just warning if they happen to be a member here.

    I'm noticing a trend -virtually everyone here has a job that requires a great deal of technical skill, minute detail work, keen observational power, the ability to make decisions quickly, an entrepreneurial and independent spirit, significant responsibility, and a whole dang lot of computer experience. We're in professions that provide a significant service, usually one where we get to assist other people a whole lot, and usually ones that take a whole lot of smarts, which is reflected in the quality of the writing of these posts. This is indeed a fascinating lot.

    he engineering marvel that is BMW seems to fit right into these characteristics, doesn't it. Which is why, to raise additional operating funds for the site, we should sell to BMW marketing people a summary of the demographics of this group.

    Because the other thing we all seem to have in common is the need for extra money to buy more stuff for and related to our bikes.
    YOU, my friend, are a GENIUS!!

  43. #141
    Superduper's Avatar
    Points: 38,643, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Jason A
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Online
    11-30-20
    Posts
    4,692 / 0 / 744 / 155
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    i currently do customer service for adult websites. i used to run the inventory for the apple computer store in south miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...
     

  44. #142
    Dano's Avatar
    Points: 27,435, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Book'm Dano
    Location
    Hampton, On. Canada.
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    05-25-19
    Posts
    1,750 / 0 / 150 / 431
    Motorcycle
    '09 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I do Infrared Thermography and vibration analysis at a Nuc Plant. Not what I started out to be in life but really enjoy it. Keeps the brain firing on all cylinders.
    Were all here because were not all there!
    07 Blue ST (Blue Boy) 09 R1200GSA(Grey Boy) HID on both
    www.danieljenkins.ca 

  45. #143
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada. warby is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    warby's Avatar
    Points: 19,641, Level: 96

    Real Name
    Andreas
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    07-21-20
    Posts
    1,042 / 0 / 217 / 155
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Arles View Post
    i currently do customer service for adult websites. ...
    Is that why your F800 has a loose tail (light)?

    Kidding!
    2007 BMW F800ST 

  46. #144

    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Online
    03-08-10
    Posts
    49 / 0 / 0 / 3
    What an interesting group we have here! Haven't seen many creatives so I suppose it's my turn.

    I'm a graphics trainer and author, specializing in Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I founded the free creative tutorial site, GraphicReporter.com back in 2003, I teach at creative and business conferences across the globe, and I do corporate training for medium-large companies (I teach creative teams how to save money and be more productive). I'm also a stock photographer and chief evangelist for iStockphoto.com. Last year I authored "Graphic Secrets for Business Professionals," a training DVD by Lynda.com (click here for a free 24 hour pass to their whole library). This year I'm authoring videos on Photoshop and Elements for KelbyTraining.com (you photographers have probably heard of Scott Kelby, it's his new video subscription service). Other sessions I teach include how to communicate with images and how to make presentations that pop (lose the bullet points, people!).

    I also write for a slew of magazines including Macworld, PhotoshopUser, Layers, and Elements Techniques. My husband and I also teach beginning digital photography at camera stores, groups, and colleges around the country. He takes the in-camera bits and I take over on the computer bits.

    Perhaps most notably we do an internet radio show called Your Mac Life. It's a really fun, entertaining show focusing on the Mac lifestyle (nothing too techie). He's had it for 13 years and I joined in with a graphics tip of the week and as co-host about 4 years ago. We run live streaming video and audio from our home studio each Wednesday night at 8:30 pm central. My husband (from Halifax) and I met, he proposed, and we got married at Macworld. Geek alert!

    Other than that I also help New York Times technology columnist David Pogue on a lot of projects (which is why we moved up here to the northeast), including his Missing Manual book series. I've you've ever picked up the Mac OS X, iPhoto, or iMovie Missing Manuals you've seen my tech editing, screen shot prowess, and photography littering the pages.

    This July I'm teaching Photoshop for beginners at the Santa Fe Workshops, so we're hatching plans to spend a month on the road going there and back

    Aside from that, I watch/read sci-fi, we ride as often as we can (I just bought him a new FJR last week), and we ski when there's too much snow to ride. We play Rock Band at least one full night (all night!) of each week and hang out with our two spoiled cats.

    Life rocks!

  47. Likes stuartw liked this post
  48. #145
    Dano's Avatar
    Points: 27,435, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Book'm Dano
    Location
    Hampton, On. Canada.
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Online
    05-25-19
    Posts
    1,750 / 0 / 150 / 431
    Motorcycle
    '09 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Well if it is art we are talking then, i spend my spare time painting oil and water colours. Have a darkroom in basement and do custom airbrushing and wood carving. I find work gets in the way.
    Were all here because were not all there!
    07 Blue ST (Blue Boy) 09 R1200GSA(Grey Boy) HID on both
    www.danieljenkins.ca 

  49. #146
    nylthewheel's Avatar
    Location
    yorkshire
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Online
    01-21-14
    Posts
    51 / 0 / 0 / 4
    trucker

  50. #147
    Stormin Normin's Avatar
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    11-19-10
    Posts
    937 / 0 / 33 / 35
    Quote Originally Posted by nylthewheel View Post
    trucker

    Truck on down to the Derbyshire ride out, see the link below.

    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12836

    Stormin
    If tha wants owt fo nowt do it thisen

    ·"'We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.'" - William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 2

    · "BUGGER" said in that sickening moment when you wished you hadn't made that last post - Dunny, F800 Forum, Friday 29th February 2008 

  51. #148
    Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    kismetcapitan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Toby
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Online
    08-07-15
    Posts
    3,680 / 0 / 63 / 339
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I've got a bit of creativity too....went to New England Conservatory (classical piano) but switched to something more portable...and louder
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

  52. #149
    Dunny's Avatar
    Location
    UK
    Joined
    May 2006
    Online
    12-04-15
    Posts
    6,129 / 15 / 199 / 1436
    You look like Bruce Lee......
     

  53. #150
    Mike in Ohio's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sunny
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio, d'Etas Unis
    Joined
    May 2007
    Online
    12-24-14
    Posts
    1,545 / 1 / 280 / 213
    And you have a cute drummer..
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •